Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] I got my report, now what
RE: I got my report, now what
I had mild apnea on my sleep test.  For me, it only occurred during the one rem sleep period on the test and was severe during that period.  I bought a pulse oximeter and experimented on myself.  I found that taking Benadryl and non- sedating antihistamines in the evening led to lower basal SpO2 levels, more ODIs (oxygen desaturation events) and more time below  88% oxygen.  Pinning a sock with two small tennis ball to the back of my sleep wear decreased all of these events.  So when I sleep with the tennis balls and avoid evening doses of antihistamines, my SpO2 levels are normal, my ODI is around 1/hour and I only spend a couple of seconds a night below 90% saturation.  At that point my sleep doctor said it was not worth treating the apnea with CPAP.   You could also try the breathe right strips. Some people on this board use a soft cervical collar as positional therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I got my report, now what
(11-02-2017, 10:28 AM)mountainbird Wrote: I had mild apnea on my sleep test.  For me, it only occurred during the one rem sleep period on the test and was severe during that period.  I bought a pulse oximeter and experimented on myself.  I found that taking Benadryl and non- sedating antihistamines in the evening led to lower basal SpO2 levels, more ODIs (oxygen desaturation events) and more time below  88% oxygen.  Pinning a sock with two small tennis ball to the back of my sleep wear decreased all of these events.  So when I sleep with the tennis balls and avoid evening doses of antihistamines, my SpO2 levels are normal, my ODI is around 1/hour and I only spend a couple of seconds a night below 90% saturation.  At that point my sleep doctor said it was not worth treating the apnea with CPAP.   You could also try the breathe right strips. Some people on this board use a soft cervical collar as positional therapy.

Thanks, Mountainbird. I've avoided Benadryl for two days now - we'll see if I can make melatonin work long-term this time, and will consider getting a pulse oximeter to test myself. I sleep on my side almost exclusively due to neck issues, but I hadn't previously considered a cervical collar until something I read here. I think I'll try that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 209 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 248 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 206 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,601 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 510 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] My first report here Frankiboy 20 1,474 11-08-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 516 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.