Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Looking for advice on how to make my machine work better
Looking for advice on how to make my machine work better
Hello, I have been on my CPAP for 14 months now, and as of November I lost my job and with it my health insurance. Before that I was told the doctors monitor and adjust my machine regularly, however I feel like it never got better and in fact got worse. I have the Oscar data and would appreciate some feedback on my statistics as well as advice on what to adjust my machine to.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for advice on how to make my machine work better
Hi Nathan37!  -  Welcome
You need to do the following:
  1. Make sure that your display is set to the Standard view.  (View > Reset Graphs > Standard)
  2. To take a screenshot of your Daily screen, select one of the following:
    • For Windows or Linux: Use the F12 key
    • For a Mac: Use the Fn+F12  key combination.
This will provide the additional information on the left side we need to offer any worthwhile help.

Please review the links in my signature.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply! Does this look correct?

Post Reply Post Reply
You might have the wrong type of CPAP for your type of apneas.  Usually when the apneas are predominantly CAs, an ASV CPAP is the machine of choice.  With that said, and recognizing your financial predicament, I would try the following:
  • Turn off the Ramp.
  • Set the pressure range to:
    • If you leave it in the Auto mode:
      • Minimum Pressure: 7.0
      • Maximum Pressure: 7.0
    • If you set the AS10 to the CPAP mode:
      • Pressure: 7.0
Both of the pressure settings above achieve the same thing, it's whichever is easiest for you.  I am trying to see if I can get the CAs reduced by eliminating pressure change induced events.

Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much! At one point I called into the sleep lab and the nurse was looking over my numbers and mentioned it was odd that i had so many CA events but then nothing came of it. I will adjust the settings and reply with results in a couple days or a week. Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I noticed that i had a period of just over 25 min where I was experiencing Cheyne Stokes Respiration. I just wanted to check and make sure that is normal and nothing of concern. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to the CSR question, i was looking over some of the other graphs and this caught my eye, I am wondering if its related and if it's of any concern.

Post Reply Post Reply
CSR was used by Resmed to even include periodic breathing. This is more likely the case since it was just a short period. The usage of this term has caused concern by many that experienced it.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh ok, I hadn't heard of it before and it seemed like it could be an issue. Anything of note for how i have very low events and then they build up to 45 then taper back down over the course of an hour and half or is that normal for CA?

Post Reply Post Reply
That is a rolling average and really doesn't provide any therapeutic information.  

Here is the technical explanation of this graph:
The AHI Graph
"This graph is often misunderstood by many new CPAP users and because of that, we often recommend new OSCAR users simply ignore this graph.

The y-value in the AHI graph gives a running count of the number of apneas scored during the last 60 minutes of the current CPAP session. In other words, the y-value of the OSCAR AHI graph at time t is the total number of events (OAs+CAs+Hs) recorded during the last hour of run time in the current session. When a particular event becomes one hour old, it is dropped from the running total. Because each event that is scored remains part of the AHI graph until it is an hour old, the AHI graph will remain above 0.0 for long periods of time when no events are being scored. "

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 24 544 16 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 83 28 minutes ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 263 35 minutes ago
Last Post: iamJB
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,789 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.