Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you know of anyone who has been diagnosed "Negative" for apnea after a "Sleep Study"?
This poll is closed.
YES
75.00%
12 75.00%
NO
25.00%
4 25.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Diagnosis] POLL: Do you know of anyone who was NOT diagnosed with Apnea after a sleep "study"?
POLL: Do you know of anyone who was NOT diagnosed with Apnea after a sleep "study"?
Just trying to get my head around this so called "diagnosis".
Sleep studies are only valid if they yield an average "negative" result on a statistical Pi and since I am not able to find a study that researched this statistics, I am trying to see if I can strike a size of the issue via an internal "poll".
If you know of anyone who's been to a study and come out with a negative result, then answer "YES", otherwise answer "NO"
We do not need their identities, only whether or not you know of anyone who has been diagnosed negative for apnea (its ok if you know more than one person, the answer is still a YES)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: POLL: Do you know of anyone who was NOT diagnosed with Apnea after a sleep "study"?
I myself would almost fall into this category. After a number of years of being treated for complex Apnea, some jokers at UPMC did a new diagnosic and titration, supposedly finding my in actuality high CA count to be very low, with again supposedly very low Apnea events. With those results, I question whether they turned on the test equipment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: POLL: Do you know of anyone who was NOT diagnosed with Apnea after a sleep "study"?
LOL:-)
so it could be that you were effectively treated after years on CPAP, no?
Post Reply Post Reply
My answer is no.

With doctors becoming more aware of apnea and the signs of it and insurance companies becoming even more tight with their money, you will find doctors only referring patients for studies when they are sure they probably have apnea. This will result in fewer and fewer sleep studies having negative results.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Not necessarily, but I do realize that doctors maybe too quick to send patients for sleep apnea studies, perhaps because it is easier to setup these studies these days and doctors can eliminate this possibility by sending patients to a study.
This said, no doctor can be 100% sure that the patient has apnea, such is in my case which took years to diagnose (with at least 3 negative results prior).
Some CSA disorders do not occur every night, neither do Obstructive cases which means they might not show up on the night of the study.
Also statistically speaking, a percentage of these studies MUST yield a "negative" outcome, otherwise they are not statistically correct if they all show "positive" results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes.  Me.  Even though I had SpO2 dropping into the 80s constantly (and as low as 68 during the sleep study), they said that my AHI wasn't high enough to reach an apnea diagnosis.  

But...it was most likely a false negative.  The pulmonologist I saw during follow-up said that I clearly had all the signs of apnea, and that the study must have been in error.  I wasn't willing to pay for another round of tests just to get a higher AHI reading, so I'm doing everything with my own funds and a PCP who knows nothing about PAP treatment but was willing to write a prescription.

However, since the test was negative, I meet the "yes" criteria of your poll.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, no there were several consistent diagnostic reports of the very high CA and high OA, only the last one being very different in result.

As I recall, changing doctors several times have netted 4 different diagnostic reports. The first 3 were pretty consistent while the last was very different in findings. I can believe 3 right then 1 wrong easier than 3 wrong then 1 right.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2021, 02:19 PM)ArcherNeedsSleep Wrote: Yes.  Me.  ..................
I should have indicated that in the Poll..."Anyone else other than yourself" :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......................PLEASE DO NOT COUNT YOURSELF AS A PERSON THAT YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU VOTE.............."ANYONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF PLEASE"......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do NOT know of anyone else other than yourself who came away from a sleep study, with "negative" results, then vote "NO" otherwise just vote "YESY" without counting yourself as one:-)
If everyone wanted to answer "yes" because they only know themeselves to have been negatively doiagnosed at the begining of treatment/testing, then the results of the poll will be incorrect.
Again: ANYONE ELSE other than youself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, a really close friend, he snores like crazy. On his sleep test he recorded 5.5 AHI, oxygen levels were normal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 373 1 hour ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 235 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.