Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread
RE: Second opinion on study is needed please
Abdul, we are not medical doctors and can only suggest things you can try. It appears you are increasing in anxiety due to insomnia. Ask the doctor for something to help you sleep. Then we can deal with the longer term stuff.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am mainly confused because I thought he meant that I am young and maybe I dont need CPAP, and maybe he wants me to try and use the soft collar for positional apnea? and to reduce stress and anxiety?

Again I am lost and dont know exactly what the path to follow is

Thanks again for the reply, I will do as instructed. I am aware you guys arent doctors, but they dont seem to be helping me as much as you guys do, specially since they are already prescribing amitriptiline for anxiety and stress and it isnt helping me at all
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are talking about my comments, I'm was simply noting you are young at 26 and this level of disorder is somewhat uncommon, but we actually have a number of members your age with more severe sleep apnea. I suggest a vendor where you could order a CPAP or bilevel if you want to obtain one and self-treat with coaching from the forum to help you optimize the therapy. I'm not suggesting you use a soft collar at all, but that you read and understand the article to consider whether your sleep position, pillows or other factors are contributing to obstruction. Any discussion of sleep aids, or drugs for stress and anxiety, are things you would have to discuss with your doctor. I am suggesting that if you can get a prescription to help you to sleep, it might reduce your anxiety. Do you want to use CPAP therapy? What do you need to know to get started? I am assuming that since your doctor has declined to prescribe CPAP, you need to know how to obtain one. The answer to that is you will need to buy it yourself unless Venezuela has a health program that will provide one, in which case, you must go through the doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Say @bigwing, I believe your nomenclature for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is incorrect. Also, the Card to Cloud version would be applicable in this case, and save a bunch of money.

Abdul, you might want to check the side effects of the medications you take, just to be sure there’s no risk they might be contributing to insomnia. I use drugs.com for those. For instance, in looking at the side effects for amitriptyline, for me, at least, there would be conflicts for a good night’s sleep.

There are also some habits to take up that can ease you into sleep mode. I’m a person who needs to start unwinding several hours in advance. I don't exercise vigorously in that window. No alcohol. I would be better off, I’m sure, if I wasn’t using electronic screens in late evening. I cool down the house. I take a relaxing shower. And now, an apneaboard member recommended a certain cereal before sleeping; I have been surprised how magically helpful it is.

Good luck! I have always found @sleeprider’s advice to be on point.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was prescribed Amitriptyline in 2017 for insomnia. It seemed to work a few weeks then the results tapered off until there was no benefit. I quit using it after a short time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2024, 10:21 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Say @bigwing, I believe your nomenclature for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is incorrect. Also, the Card to Cloud version would be applicable in this case, and save a bunch of money.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, you don't clarify what I said incorrectly - but I guess you are referring to me saying "purchase a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset S10 Auto CPAP"? So here's why I said that....

Abdulfakih said he couldn't understand Sleeprider's guidance.

Sleeprider had suggested that Abdulfakih should buy the "Resmed Airsense 10" from "CPAPspecials" in the US.

So - with the goal of helping Abdulfakih - I managed to find their website (even though I'm in the UK and have never heard of the company) and I quoted the only model of the "Resmed Airsense 10" they seem to offer. 

Please tell me where I went wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for your help. I will follow every advice. Please let me know what else would you recommend

Good Morning. Thank you for explaining, I spoke with the doctor yesterday and he said to keep using the pills and the nasal spray for a couple of months and then evaluate. I was just confused as I do not know how to interpret the results. I am curious tho, does my exam. indicate that I need a CPAP? at this point I don't care what it takes, I just want to sleep and feel rested

(04-04-2024, 02:31 AM)BigWing Wrote: Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, you don't clarify what I said incorrectly - but I guess you are referring to me saying "purchase a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset S10 Auto CPAP"? So here's why I said that....

Abdulfakih said he couldn't understand Sleeprider's guidance.

Sleeprider had suggested that Abdulfakih should buy the "Resmed Airsense 10" from "CPAPspecials" in the US.

So - with the goal of helping Abdulfakih - I managed to find their website (even though I'm in the UK and have never heard of the company) and I quoted the only model of the "Resmed Airsense 10" they seem to offer. 

Please tell me where I went wrong.

Thank you for all the help, appreciate it
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, @bigwing…

On purpose, I didn’t repeat the terminology. My opinion was that “ S10” can be confusing, since Resmed models with “s” in them are different than those without. Someone can correct me on this, but overall, I wish Resmed had more distinguishable labels. Maybe not all-out Ikea, but at least something!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
So, I got my CPAP and Im kinda lost
Hello guys,

I ended up buying a CPAP and I think i need some help interpreting the results. I slept like sh*t and IDK why

Can someone please help me?

I am currently using the P30 mask, but its unconfortable for me. I will try the N30 tonight.

Also I have to mention that i was super unconfortable because I kept getting my throat completely dry and IDK why. Another thing to mention is that I wokeup at 1:30 am more or less to go to the bathroom, and then I think i removed the mask maybe at 2 or 3 am because my nose was hurting so much. What can i do to improve my situation? I slept like sh*t and IDK why
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So, I got my CPAP and Im kinda lost
You didn’t do too badly for a first crack, but now it’s time to work on the details. I’m sure someone will be along to help with settings on the unit. I would guess much of the reason you are waking up has to do with pressure setting.

Your mouth is likely dry because it pops open during the night. That can happen because our facial muscles slacken in the night, or because our nose isn’t able to take in all the air we need, or both. For a newbie, you did a really good job of managing your leaks: you didn’t have your mouth open all night, like some do for a variety of reasons. I get quite envious when newbies manage that with a nasal mask on!

Masks can irritate the nose for several reasons, including style, size, and whether it’s on too tight. Also, if it gets yanked or bothered by a sleep position. So, pay attention to the latter in the next few nights, so you can get insights into whether they’re a factor. That info will help as you start in with your new mask. There is a lot of trial and error with masks for everyone. Sometimes, it’s even a matter of using a different size pillow.

Some folks use padding/liners to make their masks more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ashleybjerke - Therapy Thread Ashleybjerke 9 326 8 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 3,002 417,346 10-02-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: CpapCamper
  MildOSAHighRera's therapy tuning thread MildOSAHighRera 17 1,278 09-30-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: THEVGE
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 31 1,063 09-29-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [split] TinySteve - Therapy Thread TinySteve 14 732 09-26-2024, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  evanms17 Therapy Thread evanms17 24 1,459 09-24-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: evanms17
  MadFox - Therapy Help Thread MadFox 17 934 09-24-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: MadFox

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.