Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Seeking Advice. New to Cpap. Diagnostic Study Done
Seeking Advice. New to Cpap. Diagnostic Study Done
I have welcomed the wise words and wisdom on this site as I have read and studied various posts, looked at reports and picked up many hints.
However, I am still unsure on what to do so I thought I would lay my cards out (my Diagnostic Sleep Unit Report) and see what advice you would give a newbie like me.

Some background:

I am a fit, active 63 year old.
I requested the sleep study as I have always known I had some difficulties with sleep (waking up bone tired on occasions, loud snoring, sometimes restless etc)
Had the full sleep study done - then Covid 19 restrictions hit.
Had phone consultation only with Doctor on my report - and even taking scribbled notes as he spoke it was hard to take it all in.
Recommendation was that I go for a mask fitting as during the sleep study I was breathing through my mouth and during the night they woke me to fit a chin strap.
Have not purchased any machine/mask as yet as no mask fittings can be done at this stage.

Would love any advice on my diagnostic report, on what equipment could be suitable or any great hints for a total newbie like me who is out of his depth.

Thank you in advance.  Smile

.pdf   Scan_20200721 (2).pdf (Size: 102.14 KB / Downloads: 28)

.pdf   Scan_20200721 (3).pdf (Size: 73.91 KB / Downloads: 20)

.pdf   Scan_20200721 (4).pdf (Size: 67.82 KB / Downloads: 21)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking Advice. New to Cpap. Diagnostic Study Done
Welcome to the forum

You have borderline moderate OSA. 1 Central event which is nothing .
And a lot of flow limits this means IMHO you need a ResMed AutoSet. Supplier #2 has sold a good deal to Australia users. I'll let our au#ie members fill you in on that.

It is possible that because of the flow limits you may need a higher level machine, a BiLevel. We won't know for sure without trying the AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you bonjour for taking the time to read and reply to my post.
Very much appreciated.
Sorry but I have a few more questions!

As it is not possible to go to a store and have a mask fitting  - what mask would you recommend a newbie to try first up?
Is there one that is seem as a good starting point?
Also, do most people breathe through their mouths, some of the time when sleeping? 
It seems it was a problem when I did the study and they put a chin strap on me so I am unsure if I should go straight to a full mask?

When you talk Flow Limits - I am very unsure what you mean or where you found that information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see bonjour's signature is not currently working. Please use the links in my signature to read the Mask Primer wiki. It was written by Bonjour and has recommendations for masks and fitting. We favor a minimal nasal interface that is lightweight and easy to fit. The Resmed Airfit P10 Pillows mask fits that description, and comes in a fit-kit with all three sizes of mask cushion. This mask is also pretty economical to buy and maintain. Most people can use a nasal interface comfortably and effectively, but a few require a full face mask to avoid leaking from the mouth. Bonjour and I both prefer to start new users on nasal therapy, and move to full face only as needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
3rd chart posted above chart of Flowlim
On masks, I solved my mouth breathing via tapeing and eventually the tongue technique. See the Mask Primer and Mouth breathing.. look at vendor 1 on our supplier list (black banner) and I'd the most purchased masks under the theory that repeat sales from successful users. Unfortunately trying a mask is the only way to know it will work for you.

The P10 pillow mask, the smallest most unobtrusive, quietest mask out there. It is extremely likely to seal. Just have to a$ress the mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Koalapoo, one thing that strikes me is that almost all of your obstructive apneas and hypopneas occurred while you were lying on your back. I'm not suggesting that consistent side-sleeping would mean you wouldn't need PAP therapy -- for one thing, the flow limitations don't appear to be correlated with back-sleeping -- but let's keep the sleep posture question in mind after you get going with your machine.

You're getting advice from incredibly knowledgeable forum members -- Bonjour and Sleeprider. I warmly recommend that you do as they suggest and start by purchasing a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset machine and a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask with S-M-L fit pack of nasal pillow inserts.

When you get started, you'd benefit greatly from using the Oscar software to see what's going on during the night. (See the link at the top of the page.) So please ask that an SD card be included with your machine, and if your computer doesn't have an SD card reader, order one that you can plug in. They're cheap.

Let us know when the gear is on the way. We can give you some pointers on getting started with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly, a huge Thank You to Bonjour, Sleeprider and Dormeo for assisting me with my newbie queries and for sharing their experience and knowledge.

The information you have shared is very much welcomed and appreciated.
I have taken your recommendations on board and will now purchase a Resmed Autoset with the Airfit mask.
Thank you so much for your assistance!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Koalapoo,
Welcome to the forum, and you have a great start by informing yourself already.

Some suggestions:
Get a Resmed Autoset For Her.  It has one additional treatment mode than the Autoset.  This mode may or may not be useful to you, but it is an additional option for little or no extra cost.  Either the Autoset or the Autoset for her are great machines, with full data capability, which is paramount.  Make sure your supplier includes an SD card, so you can transfer data to your computer for analysis.

Positional Apnea:  When my sleep study was done years ago, mt AHI was almost 20 times as bad on my back as my side.  I was only able to control my treated AHI by avoiding sleeping on my back.  This may or may not apply to you, as we are all different, but this is a fairly common effect.

Masks:  I have always known that I am a mouth-breather, so I started with and continue to this day with a full-face mask.  My go-to mask is a Fisher&Paykel Simplus.  I have seen many posts from users who routinely use nasal masks, but have a fall-back full-face mask in case of allergies, serious nasal congestion, or other issues that preclude use of nasal-style masks.  

Good luck on your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you becker44a,

I am currently sourcing a Resmed Autoset for Her and have noted the full face mask which you personally favor.

The Positional Apnea was strongly discussed with my doctor who recommended I should avoid sleeping on my back.
(My wife also reminds me not to with a friendly whack, as my snoring volume increases in that position!)

Thank you for your assistance and I greatly appreciate your support and wisdom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do note that positional apnea of that form can usually be managed via a higher pressure. In what position do you sleep most comfortably.?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 165 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,368 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,534 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 358 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 210 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,269 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.