Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

upper limit settings
upper limit settings
I wonder: what's the advantage to limiting the upper range of a pressure setting? I understand why a lower limit is important; but why set an upper limit at 15, say, rather than 20? In case your pressure needs should exceed 15? It would seem to be just added insurance--even if your pressure never exceeded 12 or 15.

Thanks in advance for the explanation!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: upper limit settings
2 answers that comes to mind, but there's probably more.

Aerophagia at higher pressure

Runaway PAP due to flow Limits or similar that for some reason can't be fully addressed and make the PAP go up to top
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits and leaks drive up the max. It could go up from therapeutic pressure 9 to runaway 20 for example. A small leak becomes a blowout, waking you up, adjusting the mask, this time to tight and the process starts all over again. You have a terrible night and decide not to use your pap.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
All the above...Flow Limitations, snores, sometimes a high leak will drive the pressure up and can be disruptive to sleep.

Another consideration is if you suffer with Aerophagia. Sometimes limiting the max setting helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, higher pressures can *sometimes* trigger more central events (as well as the things listed above), which is likely to make you feel worse instead of better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, excellent points from all! and in fact I've had trouble with leaks causing huge pressure spikes. Great, I'll lower my upper limit today!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 293 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 185 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 206 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 589 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 339 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 380 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 797 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.