Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Sleep Test Report. Comments requested.
RE: Sleep Test Report. Comments requested.
Yes. The neck collar I purchased, 3M Futuro. One size only.
I am also not afraid to modify or make and I am lucky because I'm probably only a little bigger than average.

Although the collar is not entirely comfortable, results are positive so I'll put up with it for while.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phil,

As observed earlier in the thread, you look to suffer the majority of your apnea in the supine position. I am the same way. I start out on my side and without fail, if I don't use something to keep me off my back, I end up on there. I've put together a way to stay off my back and my AHI has been <1 since. I bought a cheap waist trainer belt from Walmart and use it to strap a rolled-up towel to my back. That pretty much keeps me on my side. I will have the occasional night over 1. But it's not much over 1 when it happens. I don't seem to have issues with chin tucking so I don't use a collar. But, I also suffer from acid reflux. Most nights I use a wedge pillow to keep my head elevated and have noticed that helps with AHI as well. I have been a mouth breather my entire life when I sleep. And I have noticed when I use a FF mask, my AHI increases as opposed to a nasal mask. I now tape my mouth in conjunction with a nasal mask and it works well. It's a somewhat timely ritual getting everything set for sleep, but it is well worth it.

You will figure this out soon enough I'm sure. I just thought I'd share my experience with you since we both seem to have the majority of events in the supine position. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
One warning on the just-stay-off-your-back advice. Sleeping on your side is terrible for carpal tunnel, wrist tendonitis, and arthritis in general. (Lucky me, I've got all three!)

When carpal tunnel gets really bad it's actually eerily similar to apnea.
  • Fall asleep --> carpal tunnels swell and narrow --> put pressure on the nerves --> wake up screaming in agony.
  • Fall asleep --> airway narrows --> cuts off breathing --> wake up fighting to breathe.
--> fight to stay awake all day after a night of that.

"Uncle Larry died peacefully in his sleep. The passengers in his car were screaming!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2021, 01:33 PM)Hoagie73 Wrote: Hi Phil,

As observed earlier in the thread, you look to suffer the majority of your apnea in the supine position. I am the same way. I start out on my side and without fail, if I don't use something to keep me off my back, I end up on there. I've put together a way to stay off my back and my AHI has been <1 since. I bought a cheap waist trainer belt from Walmart and use it to strap a rolled-up towel to my back. That pretty much keeps me on my side. I will have the occasional night over 1. But it's not much over 1 when it happens. I don't seem to have issues with chin tucking so I don't use a collar. But, I also suffer from acid reflux. Most nights I use a wedge pillow to keep my head elevated and have noticed that helps with AHI as well. I have been a mouth breather my entire life when I sleep. And I have noticed when I use a FF mask, my AHI increases as opposed to a nasal mask. I now tape my mouth in conjunction with a nasal mask and it works well. It's a somewhat timely ritual getting everything set for sleep, but it is well worth it.

You will figure this out soon enough I'm sure. I just thought I'd share my experience with you since we both seem to have the majority of events in the supine position. Smile

Thanks Hoagie73

I think I am heading in your direction. Nasal pillow plus tape. I'm encouraged that I don't have to mouth breath. The feeling of not enough air while nose breathing soon passes.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an update on my progress and observations.

I'm pleased with last nights numbers. Best numbers after 25 days CPAP use.

Collar. Seems to have softened with use or I'm more used to it. Or both.
Mouth tape stops jaw sagging which did seem to restrict airway.
Resmed F20 full face mask, large size, still feels huge but getting used to it. Might try a (M) before looking to other styles. I can't use my glasses which is a problem. Less bulky mask type is appealing.

For a 'mouth breather', working on nose breathing, one and a bit function in nostrils mostly enough and my respiratory system seems to be getting more efficient.  Certainly struggle if I'm a little congested.
Consciously nose breathing in daytime may be helping too. 

Still haven't experienced that fully refreshed sleep feeling but feeling a little less tired.

Phil

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I can't see anything to address. Keep running with it and best to your success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 12:09 PM)pb12 Wrote: ...
Collar. Seems to have softened with use or I'm more used to it. Or both.
Resmed F20 full face mask, large size, still feels huge but getting used to it. Might try a (M) before looking to other styles. I can't use my glasses which is a problem. Less bulky mask type is appealing.

Be aware that if the collar gets too comfy you'll be back to chin tucking! Bigwink

I started in 2014 with an F10. 1-1/2 years later, after it wore a pressure sore on the bridge of my nose and was leaking ridiculously, I discovered "minimal-contact" FFMs. GIGANTIC improvement! I've been through the Amara View, dreamwear, and am now on an F30. If you like the F20 and want to use your glasses, I'd recommend either F30 or F30i. The difference is that the F30i has the airshafts integrated into the headgear and the hose connection is at the top of your head. I like it MUCH better than having the hose hang off the front of the mask, but do be aware that the design makes the headgear inherently less adjustable. If you are an average-sized person who falls into the small-medium-large range then the hose-on-top works great. The fit is a little more challenging if you are an x-small or x-large person :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 84 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 170 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 209 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.