Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] What is the typical progression and speed of developing apnea?
RE: What is the typical progression and speed of developing apnea?
When I asked re progress, I should have been clearer, was asking does one say start of with mild say AHI of 5 or so, and then in a few years if untreated it gets to 10, and few years later 15 or so etc. Or does the severity of the apnea stay constant once one gets it. In my case my AHI of 24.8 would be the same 3 years prior (assuming apnea doesn't progress) or would have been something lower (if it does progress)

In my case too, the dr. thought it could be depression, and problem was that as my mood and energy was low to some extent the symptoms are the same, so didn't push it, finally I said I don't think its depression as had been seeing a therapist and felt fine per the therapist, and then they ordered the sleep study.

Thanks

Shri
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have Sleep Apnea, I knew that for a fact, I slept fine with no problems. Sleep Test? WTH do I need that for? I'm sleeping fine. To stop my wife from pestering me I finally agreed to take one. AHI 90+ !!!
And now I'm here, after a journey but now I'm here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've suffered from DeNile Apnea for maybe 30 years. Now I've got a nicer combo of complex Apnea and COPD.

BTW the sleep study from our OP...you're in the Complex Apnea club apparently. 7 CA to 9 OA. Longest CA at 27 seconds.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is like most people who are diabetic. By the time they are diagnosed, they have already had it for a few years.

In my case, it was sudden and over a matter of a couple of months worsened dramatically. My lack of oxygen was due to a slow heart, however, not apnea. So, I'm on a cpap (works) to delay the need for a pacemaker. This is not typical but does show a sudden need for a machine. I'm sure strokes or heart attacks can also cause a sudden need.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea progression jdbeck 3 639 03-09-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  [Treatment] What should be typical during a review/check-up from your doctor? KGsleep 6 770 02-21-2023, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Newly diagnosed - Was this ASV titration typical? eflatminor 1 477 10-25-2022, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.