Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] single pressure rate ,why?
single pressure rate ,why?
Hi could someone tell me why a doctor would prescribe a pressure of 8 cm when my wife has a autoset resmed 10 that can easily adjust to changing needs note I monitored while she slept with the pressure I sat at 7 -15 and it used it all of that thanks gary
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: single pressure rate ,why?
Don't know about a Doctor, never had that training) but I have strongly suggested several users here to use a single pressure even thouth they had an auto machine.

Those users had prominent Central Apnea/Clear Airway events. I don't know what you have.

A number of Doctors state that a single fixed pressure is the best treatment for Obstructive Apnea.

We here in general feel that an auto machine provides the most flexibility and CAN be used in CPAP/Single pressure mode if needed.

Download Sleepyhead and post the results from the daily charts. Pay attention to the organization as some charts are more important than others.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
During a titration study, the lab technician tries different pressures, generally starting at 5 or 6 cm and progressing upward until apnea and hypopnea are acceptable. The test continues to trial higher pressures, but usually comes back to the lowest pressure that created good results for a period from 20 minutes to just over an hour. Ask for a copy of the study and look for yourself. You may see that more than one pressure produced good results, or you may find (as we often do), the study was really not interpreted well.

The study generally includes a conclusion that the patient's obstructive events were extinguished at xx pressure, and it is recommended that CPAP therapy be initiated at xx pressure. Almost invariably, that becomes the recommendation of the physician. Since your sleep position, health, weight, and other factors change day to day and year to year, a fixed pressure may or may not be ideal. Unless there are complications like central apnea, most people do as well or better using APAP. The other factor the study does not usually account for is the use of comfort features like EPR. It's a great feature, but without auto pressure adjustments is generally different than the test condition. I think a single fixed pressure is prescribed because most doctors prefer to repeat the lab result, don't understand or value auto CPAP, and prefer to control the patient therapy. Most of us find we can do better with auto pressure because things are NEVER the same as the lab condition.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most sleep doctors prescribe a straight pressure because that is what they do for ALL their patients. That's EXACTLY what they do at the sleep clinic I go to. I told them what I was setting my machine to (after looking at my RAW study data and titration). It's useful to know what straight pressure to use if you are stuck with a straight pressure machine or have a problem with the APAP on your machine, but beyond that, sortof pointless since many folks find APAP more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all so much for your response to my question about why is set pressure prescribed over perhaps a more accurate adj.pressure this was my first post and I feel better already having available help.thank you all, gary .by the way my wife is the one with the sleep apnea but having dealt with her doctors in her support many know there is a major disconnect between patients and their  info and doctors  and this site is a port in the storm  thanks gary
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all again .I am working towards putting my wifes card info on the site so It can be read .eventually I`ll achieve this until then I shall continue to experiment with the doc`s set  8 lbs pressure and monitoring through this setting and all variables that seem to help my wife thanks Gary
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi buddygirl15,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to your wife with CPAP therapy.
hang in there for more responses to your post, You have come to the right place for guidance.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
buddygirl15,
If I don't use EPR my Flow Limitations increase. The Resmed will sense the increased flow limitation and will respond by adding pressure until it reaches the highest pressure set. So if I don't use EPR, I have to use a straight pressure.  If I use EPR then I can enjoy the auto adjusting pressure feature.  

Your description sounds like my problem.  A proof-of-concept would be to leave the A10 on auto and set the EPR to Full Time and to a level of 3.  Set your pressure to 10 to 15. This will provide an exhale pressure range of 7 to 12 and inhale pressure of 10 to 15. See what happens.  If you are wondering, I'm trying to keep the exhale pressure at a pressure that is still in the theoretical treatment range.  If you kept the original pressure 7-15 and turned on EPR @3, your exhale pressure would be 4-12.  

Also, please think about getting @SleepyHead.  It will greatly help in reviewing your sleep data.

Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi you all are giving me some very helpful responses thanks and I am heading toward submitting my wifes info .Last night we tried the prescribed 8 cm and she slept solid and deeper than it seemed at previous times when we tried various auto settings she has always had the Epr on at least 1 cm.last night her AHI were 3.4 we had previously had even lower EPR with auto between 7 and 9 and 7 and 12 and even one time 4 and 20 also we have had some real poor event counts at similar auto sets  but I have read at the bottom of her sleep report on the airsense 10 machine . 3.7 ca events  I realize I am leaving out a lot of info included on a card and am working on it thanks again you all are very kind and supportive GARY AT buddygirl15
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 73 25 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.