Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Different AHI with different apap machine?
Different AHI with different apap machine?
    Hello everyone, 

First time posting  Rolleyes 

I’m on apap since 2015.  I had 3 different apap since the beginning, SystemOne from 2015 to 2019, DreamStation One for 2019 to 2021 and AirSense 10 for the last 2 weeks.  My prescription is still the same since the beginning at 6-12.  Same mask since 2015.  Looking at my AHI on Oscar, I can see that it has doubled the day I started with the DreamStation. The only difference between the two was the softer pressure setting during inspiration on the DreamStation.

AHI around 2 on System One and around 4 with DreamStation.

First question: Is the doubled AHI normal since I switched apap?  Or what could explain this?  Could my AHI have been better on my DreamStation if it have been set with regular inspiration pressure instead of a softer one?

Since beginning AirSense 10, 2 weeks ago, my AHI Is about 4 with standard pressure on inspiration and lowered pressure at 3 on expiration.  I couldn’t sleep properly without EPR.  I’m asking my DME to set EPR at 2, hoping I could get a better AHI, because I read that EPR could impact central apnea.  No answer from my DME since 2 weeks.  They don’t help at all.

Second question:  Is it reasonable to think my AHI could be better at EPR settled at 2 instead of 3, since I noticed that central apnea is higher?

I’m really trying to get a better AHI since I feel tired quite often.

Thank you all.  Your help will be so much appreciated.  I feel literally abandoned by my DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Different AHI with different apap machine?
Almost all the people that can help on this site will need charts from OSCAR. OSCAR is free (as is everything on this site) to download from the top of the site. You will need a SD card (between 2 - 32 GB) and sleep with it for a night and download the charts. There will be someone that will be able to help you.

here is a link about oscar

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2021, 04:15 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Almost all the people that can help on this site will need charts from OSCAR.  OSCAR is free (as is everything on this site) to download from the top of the site.  You will need a SD card (between 2 - 32 GB) and sleep with it for a night and download the charts.  There will be someone that will be able to help you.

Hello ?. I’m confused ?. I did upload a graph of Oscar.  It’s at the beginning of my post.  Or maybe it’s not the graph you need to help me ?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
The one you uploaded was a total of all we need a daily graph.  The graphs we need is in my signature.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
That chart tells me you developed a problem. We need to see the Daily charts, a standard view without the calendar and piechart (F12 removes those for the screenshot then restores them.
Events
Flow Rate
Pressure
Flow Limits
Leak Rate

That will tell us what is going on now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Howdy, welcome to the Apnea Board.

This is before seeing a Daily OSCAR shot. I can already name 2 things that, not might but definitely will, influence therapy pressure edits.

1. about 6 years has passed since you first started. 6 years can create completely different therapy needs.

2. You were using 2 completely different PAP machine brands. This too will change what settings are required, and different options and setup methods are used, brand specifically.

Both will affect pressure sets that are necessary to treat you properly.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks for those fast answers  like

My first attachment was to show that the changes in my AHI happened suddenly with the beginning of the use of DreamStation One.  On that second attachment you can see my latest night on AirSense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2021, 07:22 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Howdy, welcome to the Apnea Board.

This is before seeing a Daily OSCAR shot. I can already name 2 things that, not might but definitely will, influence therapy pressure edits.

1. about 6 years has passed since you first started. 6 years can create completely different therapy needs.

2. You were using 2 completely different PAP machine brands. This too will change what settings are required, and different options and setup methods are used, brand specifically.

Both will affect pressure sets that are necessary to treat you properly.

Actually, I used 3 different machines in that time laps.  I started AirSense 10 on the 5th of July, because of the DreamStation recall.  Every time I bought a new machine, the DME just entered the same prescription.  When I was asking if everything was still ok despite the fact I had less energy and often didn't feel rested, they always answered that my results where ok since AHI was below 5 and there was nothing more to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2021, 05:09 PM)Gideon Wrote: That chart tells me you developed a problem.  

Indeed.  It all started with the use of DreamStation.  I posted an Oscar chart of my last night.  Since 5th of July I use AirSense 10 because of DreamStation recall.

Thanks !  It's uploaded now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand. Most of the doc's and DME's (suppliers) just look at AHI 5 and stamp OK on the therapy. As you know, there's a whole LOT more to it than AHI. Comfort and being well rested come to mind.

I'll suggest you might want to try a lower EPR for one night to see if that edit impacts your CA/Central Apnea events. These can be real CA, but of the treatment emergent flavor. Why do I think that? ResMed tends to bring out more efficient breathing, and with EPR, sometimes it's too efficient at flushing out the CO2, the cause of this type of CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 93 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 375 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 579 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 442 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.