Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Discomfort of turning left & right in bed due to CPAP mask hose. Any suggestions?
Discomfort of turning left & right in bed due to CPAP mask hose. Any suggestions?
Hi folks,
I have a little problem. Every few days I can't sleep with the CPAP mask on, even though it's comfortable with nasal pillow. Because with the hose attached to my face, I find it hard to toss and turn right and left while in bed, because the hose from the mask seems hard to stretch, it's like a tight rubber band that makes movement feel inhibited and restricted. 

As a result, I have to take a break from CPAP once or twice a week, because some nights I feel so tired that I can't tolerate not being able to turn left and right in bed at will. On some nights I can't even fall asleep with the mask on, even if I take a tablet of melatonin. That's a pity, but happens sometimes.

Do any of you have this problem too? If so, how have you dealt with it? What I mean is, after a while, you miss the freedom of being in bed with no mask on so you can turn left or right at will. You know what I mean? Sometimes you miss that freedom of movement too much that you have to take off the mask and just sleep on your side to reduce the OSA.

On ebay I saw some masks where the hose is on TOP of the head gear, right above your head, not right under the nasal pillow like most masks are. Do you think that may be better for movement of your head turning left and right in bed?

Also ebay CPAP masks are cheaper. Do any of you get your masks from there? Is it ok to do so? Is the quality of them ok in your experience, as long as the seller has high ratings? Any experiences with this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Discomfort of turning left & right in bed due to CPAP mask hose. Any suggestions?
have you tried a hose buddy/caddy or otherwise hung your hose from the ceiling, wall, headboard above your head?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Discomfort of turning left & right in bed due to CPAP mask hose. Any suggestions?
Yes......get a hose hanger / holder. I went w/o one for about three weeks or so when I started my therapy. It was this forum that made me aware of them. 

I made my own! Best single improvement of ANY for CPAP treatment. I'm a side sleeper and I use a ResMed F30 mask. Little to no problems once you get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you get a hose hanger? At the hardware store? What are they called exactly? Do you folks have any images of what they look like? Do you have to nail it into the wall or bedframe?

Also even if you hang the hose, won't it still stretch and pull like a rubber band when you toss and turn? That only makes a mild difference right?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a side sleeper and rotate from the left to right throughout the night. Along with the hose hanger I use a cpap pillow. They have divots cut out where your cpap mask would lay so it doesn't shift on you.
If the price is right buying from Ebay is OK. I usually price something that is factory sealed.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I also turn a lot and was usually doing battle with the hose, until I purchased this:

The triangle base slips between the mattress and base.  The pole is adjustable and can be taken apart easily enough if need be.  
When I turn over, it swivels along without issue.  This has been a game changer for me.  

I purchased mine from Amazon, or just google "Cpap hose hangers" for more ideas.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a mask you really like the hose hanger is good. If you want there are many masks that are made that have the air come in at the top of the head and is on a swivel. It never gets in the way when you turn in bed. Examples of these are ResMed P30i and F30i.  You can look them up and see what I mean. Also there are befits on YouTube.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I just use a lanyard like you would use for a work I.D. or conference tag. I pass it under the tube and pull the end through to hold the hose, then hang it on my headboard or a command hook if no head board. Practically free and works well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
These days I'm using a Houdini hose stand. It swivels freely, and during the day it collapses down so you can hide it under a pillow. I'd recommend using a non-slippery hose cover, which will help keep the hose in place inside the loop that it hangs from. In fact, I use an extra-long cover and scrunch it up. My main reason was to improve insulation, but this also helps with the stability of the hose in the loop.

With any hose stand, you need to experiment to find the right amount of slack.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, a hose cover is also a good thing to have. The cover keeps the hose on my machine as quiet as can be.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 532 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,617 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 77 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 161 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 126 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 3,073 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 310 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.