Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled water vs demineralised water
RE: Distilled water vs demineralised water
I've used distilled water for the last couple years. I figured I use about 5¢ of distilled water each night. Everything is still spotless, it's simple to use (some people say it's a PIA to use distilled water - don't know why), and I haven't had to alter my standard of living to afford the extra luxury.

I do use tap water run through a Brita filter for a room humidifier. And it hasn't shown signs of calcium deposits yet. But I don't run it dry either - hoping the concentration level doesn't get too high before I dump the leftovers.

I suppose you could do the same with your CPAP tank. Fill it to the full line and try not to run it dry.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used distilled water exclusively since I started using a CPAP machine. But apparently the availability of distilled water (at all) in supermarkets is going the way of under $4/gallon gasoline. For weeks now, all the supermarkets in town have been offering nothing but "purified water – prepared by reverse osmosis and deionization." So I came here to the forum to see if anyone reported problems using that. I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot. I do hope distilled water returns to the stores sometime soon, but I'm beginning to suspect that it may take a couple of elections first.
Post Reply Post Reply
If distilled water gets anymore expensive, it'll be cheaper to just use gasoline.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
The only advantage to using distilled water is to avoid mineral scale in the dehumidifier. Deionized water should do as well. Supermarket distilled water is not sterile.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
But, don't be like the little old lady who lit up while on oxygen. Then you won't have to worry about mineral buildup in the chamber (or much else).

Besides, I don't like the smell of gasoline in my CPAP machine. Now, JP-4, there is nothing like like smell in the morning.... Too-funny
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.