Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do masks wear out? How can you tell?
Do masks wear out? How can you tell?
I've been using a Dreamstation with a Philips nasal mask for about 5-6 months.  After an extended miserable "getting used to it" period, I was doing OK and slowly edging up my pressure as tolerated.  I got to ~8.5cmH2O in straight CPAP mode, and my AHI down as low as 1.5-2.5 for a few days.  And then.

For the past few days, I haven't been able to sleep at all.  It feels hard to breathe through the mask, like having a stuffed-up nose.  I've tried benadryl, not much help. Plus it seems like there's a lot more hissing noise, even though I wear earplugs and had been able to tolerate the noise after I discovered how much those help.

Could the mask be wearing out somehow?  It still looks OK (I wash it with dish soap daily).  I've replaced the headgear with some cheap straps from Amazon.  It might be leaking a bit more than before: I've noticed some light breezes near my eyelashes, but OSCAR leak rate doesn't show any problems.

TLDR: difficulty breathing (as if nasal congestion) at ~6 months with Philips nasal mask.  How to debug?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do masks wear out? How can you tell?
Most insurance will replace the nasal cushion every month, and a complete new mask at 6 months.

If no insurance, then watch for sales, and at least replace the cushion.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My cushions (AirFit F20 / F30) wear out long before the mask and headgear does......at least for me. The silicone becomes flimsy and yellows. 

I have good insurance and I have a good supply of both cushions on hand. I don't see how an actual mask could wear out. The AirFits are very stout. 

I try to get a good 4-5 months of use out of the cushions before they are tossed out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd look at replacing the cushion on the nasal mask if it still leaks. It may be worn out despite you thinking it passes as OK on your visual check.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can get two pillows a month and for a while I was doing that. Now I have so many pillows that I could probably go the rest of my life and never get anymore. Even after they’ve been used a couple of months they seem to be good.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I used 3 dreamwear masks, then had a problem and switched to a ResMed N20. I've had 2 of them.

If I watch my numbers and OSCAR readouts I can see when I need a new mask.

FWIW when I got my 2nd ResMed N20 I examined the old one and the new one closely. The cushion on the N20 simply looked aged...and texture was different. The head gear had stretched a lot. As soon as I started using the second N20 my numbers improved....

I've never been told that I can get new cushions here in Ontario Canada.

So....I would replace my mask with headgear every 6 months.

I stopped using my Dreamwear mask for two reasons. One...I developed a bump on the base of my nostril that had to be surgically removed.
Two...darn mask leaked slightly, because the headgear didn't hold it in place. I got so paranoid I would wake up to see if my mask was leaking. Sleep quality got worse and worse...
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2020, 11:53 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd look at replacing the cushion on the nasal mask if it still leaks. It may be worn out despite you thinking it passes as OK on your visual check.

Thanks, everybody.  I'll start with the cushion -- that's easy enough to replace, and I think I have a spare that's close enough to the same size (I think I got S/M/MW/L with my initial setup, and the little paper "measure your nose" size gauge suggested that two different sizes would fit).

I have craptacular insurance, so I have to pay out of pocket for everything, but it looks like you can buy spare parts from Amazon and the other Usual Suspects.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know you've already decided to change your cushion and others have weighed in, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

When I was using traditional masks (I now use the Bleep), I found that with one mask at about the 2 week mark, leak rate started increasing dramatically. By 3 weeks, the cushion was unusable and had to be replaced. The other mask I used started leaking at about the 3 week mark. My husband, on the other hand, uses his P10 cushion forever! I generally take really good care of things, so I don't know why I had such short life with my cushions, but I have come to the conclusion that this really is a YMMV thing. Some people get a LONG time out of a cushion, others just don't. I happen to fall in the latter category!

Hopefully a new cushion gets you back to sleeping well!
Post Reply Post Reply
The problems you described at the outset don't sound to me like problems with fit.  They could be, but I would check couplings, for holes in the hose, or for a clogged filter (why would an old cushion make it more difficult to breathe?).

I have used the same N20 cushion or 26 months now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you wash your mask? I wonder - based on you saying your breathing feels clogged - if the vents may be getting some build-up that needs to be cleaned out.

As far as when to change them... I find I can usually get 4 weeks out of a mask before it starts hissing, leaking, or not staying sealed. I take that as my cue to replace it.

When I used Dreamwear, and had trouble with insurance, I bought replacement cushions/parts on Amazon very easily.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 349 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.