Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do masks wear out? How can you tell?
RE: Do masks wear out? How can you tell?
(02-11-2020, 02:02 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Do you wash your mask?  I wonder - based on you saying your breathing feels clogged - if the vents may be getting some build-up that needs to be cleaned out.

Yes, I wash daily (I don't like skin oil on the silicone -- it creeps me out!). The Dreamwear mask has very few intricate features...there's a small vent slot in front of the nosepiece, and some vents in the elbow at the top of the head. None of that is clogged, but I guess the frequent washing could have changed the profile of the slot in the nosepiece, or made the ends seal less securely to the ends of the frame that come down alongside your cheeks.

Possibly more likely, the washing has changed the surface tack of the nose piece. There's a thin, slightly sticky membrane that sticks around/under your nose, and I kind of wonder if that's not sticking to my skin as much as it did when it was new.

(02-11-2020, 02:02 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: As far as when to change them... I find I can usually get 4 weeks out of a mask before it starts hissing, leaking, or not staying sealed. I take that as my cue to replace it.

Yikes, that's hardly any time at all! But a good data point: we have people whose masks last forever, while you're swapping out after a month. So it's not impossible that my current problem is "mask worn out." More investigation needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do masks wear out? How can you tell?
I replace my p10 pillows every 6 months.
Headgear every year
Mask body: 3 years.

Resmed Europe Or Asia doesn’t recommend the same schedule of replacement as Resmed US does.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 351 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 424 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.