Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do we really need to clean this stuff?
Do we really need to clean this stuff?
I'm new to CPAP (about a month) and these cleaning instructions seem silly to me. I wash my cushion every day because it clearly picks up face oils and gets direct exposure to my breath and potentially saliva.  However, I was also instructed to (1) wash the house weekly (2) wash the humidifier tray daily (3) wash the coarse filter weekly.  I use distilled water in the humidifier but never wash it and it's still pristine. I've never cleaned the hose and have a hard time seeing why I would. Nothing actually gets dirty except the mask. I also have a powerful air purifier always running in that room so there is very little dust around.

Have any of you really had anything grow in your tube or humidifier (assuming distilled water use)? Do CPAPs really make people sick? I'm open to cleaning more often, it just seems silly based on what I see here and I don't like wasting time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do we really need to clean this stuff?
I've become slightly more lax in regards to cleaning my CPAP equipment since having started therapy in Sept. of 2018. 

I use regular tap water in the humidifier, instead of distilled water. I started out using distilled water, but gave it up after a few months. The humidifier gets emptied and then wiped dry each & every morning. It's left open and allowed to air dry for a few hours. I do use some white vinegar in it from time to time as well.

My mask / cushion gets a good wipe down with Clorox anti-bacterial wipes about every other night. The hose and it's quiet elbow gets soaked in Dawn dish soap and hot water once a week. I do have a hose brush and it gets used occasionally. 

My routine is easy and quick. It's not a bother or a hassle. And, I do feel it is very effective at keeping everything clean and sanitary.

For me, it also provides some peace of mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only used distilled water in my humidifier. I neglected the chamber at one point and noticed a faint black substance on the tank walls (saw it on the cloth I was using to dry it), presumably mold??? That scared me enough to do regular cleanings!
Mask gets cleaned daily, headgear once a month, humidifier tank gets rinsed/dried every 2 days and cleaned every 7-10, hose/connectors every 7-10 days, disposable filter once a month.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a little more than 3 months into therapy and I wipe my mask off twice a day, dump the distilled water everyday (it’s almost gone anyway), let the humidifier air dry and give everything a wash in hot soapy water once a week with careful attention to the hose just to make sure it lasts a long time. I’m very allergic to dust and just recently realized even thought the machines filter looks like it was never used it’s full of allergens. All of a sudden I would end up with a clogged nose an hour after putting the mask on and couldn’t figure out why. I swapped the filter and breathed fine all night long. So now I’m changing those filters out every 2 weeks. For someone without allergies they may be able to get away with just wiping the mask down everyday for longer than a week. I’ve also heard that biofilm can build up quickly but we have a microbiologist in the forum here and unless I’ve missed it I don’t think he’s very concerned about that. Hopefully he chimes in at some point in this thread.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
How big a problem mold and mildew are in your area makes a big difference as to cleaning frequency and what needs to be done.
I only use distilled water.
I empty and air dry my humidifier bucket daily and it is clean as new at 3 months.
My heated hose which I hang up to air dry daily starts smelling like gym socks after about a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2020, 01:13 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: I have only used distilled water in my humidifier.  I neglected the chamber at one point and noticed a faint black substance on the tank walls (saw it on the cloth I was using to dry it), presumably mold???  

[Bold print in quotes added by me.]

That is the source of the black smear, whether mold or some bacterial action.  It was from something left behind when you wiped the interior of the water chamber.

I hope people will try hard to understand and to accept what I offer now:

a. Except when your ability to empty and rinse the water reservoir is hampered, and you can't do it every day, you need not use distilled water.  Tap water, if people in the municipality drink it, is perfectly fine and suitable.  It's stable, neutralized for common pathogens, and it is filtered.  Just empty your container about every second or third day (my low humidity setting gives me at least three days at a time before I have to empty, rinse, and refill), and you do NOT have to wipe out reservoir.  Leave it full of water...or partly full.  I NEVER wipe out my reservoir, and have yet to see anything glowing or growing inside it.  Do NOT wipe the interior of the reservoir.  Ever.  

b. Cleaning is probably, not certainly, a good idea for any surfaces that make contact with your body, your clothing, the bedding, and so on.  So, cushions, hoses, headgear...they should be cleaned every so often.  What 'every so often' means is that, when the tension in you rises to the point of pathology, and you simply must clean the items, that's a good time to ease that tension...and do so.  But I would only suggest that the cushion needs daily cleaning.  I don't do that myself, but you gotta be happy.  Daily cleaning of the hoses and reservoir, and all that wiping, just ensures you DO HAVE schmutz left behind by whatever is actually wiping the surfaces, whether your fingers, or your favourite microfiber cloth.

(Have you ever looked in a microscope at the stuff taken from under your fingernails? Maybe our friend Melman can help us out with either a description or an actual image.)

c. And, finally, this brings up 'sanitizing'.  There's a difference between cleaning and sanitizing.  Even the vaunted SoClean people spell it out clearly in their instructions.  The point in cleaning is to remove foreign matter that should not be present.  Sanitizing means neutralizing, or 'destroying', pathogens.  That's what the SoClean purports to do, and I am not in a position to argue.  Cleaning must be done by the user.  However, sanitizing must also fall to that person, and it's as easy as swishing a weak bleach solution or a sulphite, or a permanganate, solution through the items that can practically be cleaned.  I use a metabisulphite, whether sodium or potassium, because it is both dirt cheap and so effective.  Find something you can do easily, cheaply, and do it as often as it takes to reduce that tension in yourself.  

What I have hoped to do here is to convince you that some of your tension is probably as pathological as anything you THINK you're ridding yourself of by wiping and 'cleaning'.  Relax!  It's not rocket science.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mesenteria I only wipe my mask twice a day because of skin oils, the mask won’t seal and dust, very allergic. Other than that I wash everything once a week to get any dust and other allergens off. For those of us with allergies getting them constantly blown in our faces completely clogs ours noses and it closes out bronchial tubes so it is necessary to clean at least once a week or more. It’s more than just feeling the need for a lot of us. I wish I didn’t have allergies. Life would be a lot easier just wiping my mask off.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I always finger wash my mask under the sink faucet with a few drops of dawn every day.

I always use distilled water in my chamber because we have a height iron content in out tap water.

I always wash and air dry my chamber every 4th or 5th day and air dry.

So far no staining, no residue built up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on my BIPAP machine for over 5 years now . I wipe the mask cushion every mornng with unscented baby wipes .
I use distilled water in the humidifier and just top it up every day . Once a week I wash the humidifier and cushion using ivory soap . 
As for the hose I will maybe wash it once every 3 months or so if I have nothing better to do . I wash it in the bathroom sink and then 
run tap water through it to get rid of the soap suds . I hang it up over a door to let the remaining moisture drip out .
That is what works for me but others may have different ideas to suit themselves .
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Bleep, so I use new ports each night (I remove the adhesive each morning and recycle the plastic). I occasionally wash the interface, probably monthly, whenever I think about it. I use distilled water in my humidifier and generally wash and let it air dry about once a month (or maybe a bit less frequently). I did do it more often when I started on CPAP 2 years ago. I've washed my hose a couple of times. As far as I can tell, only air blows through it so I don't worry too much about it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 184 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 339 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 492 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,372 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  [Mod Note] Keep Your Stuff Together SuperSleeper 1 1,727 12-21-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 962 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Advice on how to clean F20 Airtouch? raptosnorus 4 752 06-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.