Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do you keep your settings the same for extended periods
RE: Do you keep your settings the same for extended periods
No two nights are the same. And more goes into our sleep than our CPAP.

Food.
Stress.
Work.
Play.
Weather.
Room temp.

The list is longer but I think you'll get the idea.

So what to do when you're experiencing data outside your norm? Evaluate everything. New med? Med change? More beer? Less beer? New food? What's different? What isn't different?

First, establish your norms. You won't have a "my norm is x" it will be "my norm AHI is between x and y. my norm 95% pressure is between c and d." So establish what is your normal data results. Also establish your life norms. You drink beer every Sunday watching football? You eat out with cantankerous relatives on a semi-regular basis? You have reports due at work every Wednesday? Whatever.

Next, as soon as you see more than one night in a row that is outside those data norms, enter your day into a journal. What did you do, eat, see, experience. What did you NOT? Since you've established your life norms, you should see something not right. Or maybe not find anything. Alien probing cannot be predicted (unless you live on a farm in the midwest US).

And don't forget to mark down every change you make. EPR, max pressure, min pressure, mask adjustment, whatever. Yeah OSCAR keeps track of that stuff but often, writing it down along with the rest of your notes can help see patterns.

If you find that bumping the pressure up, or down, or the EPR change, helps during the not-normal, consider keeping it there. Watch your data for at least two weeks. If it stays good, just leave it. It'll cover you if ever that situation comes up again.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2019, 04:52 PM)yankees123 Wrote: Thanks mosquito bait for your reply.  
Thought this was a good question and was surprised with few responses.

Hi,
_ this indeed was a very good question. However, maybe people here would willing to go deeper by looking at some of your charts/nights. 
I think Bonjour and others have made a good points: change a lot during thereapy adjustments's and certain stabilization afterwards (however, maybe, never ending); that happened to me (historic elsewere in my single thread).
 _ Based on my own experience, I tend not to believe on long term wait for acquaintance to parameters and machine. It might happen something which does not work, say, in some 3 days, maximum 1 week, would not ever work. Either bad (e.g., CA bumps, anomalous respiratory rate, pressure-induced awakenings/wake ups,...) or good (FL reduction; AHI drops,....) outcomes quite often show up overnight! 
_ what would be eventually very significant is knowing where (why) you are going to, while changing parameters.

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Want to thank everyone who has responded to my question.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to make numerous adjustments during my period of optimizing my therapy.

Since I've found what works well for me, I occasionally adjust to account for colds (where I'm a humidity freak) and when I decide to switch things up between a FFM and pillows. My pressure settings don't change (though there will be minor fluctuations in my AHI...to be expected, we're not machines, after all) and I don't expect it to unless there are some significant physiological changes in my body at this point. I think I've held the same pressure settings with good results for about 3 years now.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 235 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 898 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Question about OSCAR accuracy during high leak periods raptosnorus 13 966 06-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: raptosnorus
  AirCurve 10 ASV settings - Equivalent settings for AirCurve 10 VAUTO Shadowpup 0 888 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  New BiPAP, still having long periods of low oxygen phlamingo 1 656 08-09-2022, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Insp Rate and Exp Rate 0 for long periods Ctyankee 2 561 04-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ctyankee
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,629 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.