Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do you use your xPAP when....?
Do you use your xPAP when....?
So, you sleep with a CPAP...

1. Do you use it when you nap? If so, how do you handle getting it on while in snooze mode without waking yourself up and aborting the nap?

2. What happens when you're driving and you need to pull into a rest area to get some zzzzz's? Do you take your CPAP with you? Can you plug it into your car?

3. Can you go camping? Multiple nights?

4. You're taking a trip that will involve staying with relatives....protocol. Do you inform your hosts in advance?

5. You're flying to the South Pacific. You will do some substantial sleeping, if you're lucky. Do you plug in your CPAP?

6. You have been throwing up all night...Delhi belly. Do you wear your mask?

No doubt, other newbies have questions in this vein?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you use your xPAP when....?
1. Yes!  Put it on before you lay down.

2. If you are using your CPAP, that should not happen.

3. Batteries and solar panels.  Lots of posts if you search.

4. Why would they care?  They are probably just happy that you are not snoring!

5. Without a question, yes.  I carted an old S7 around Spain for a month last year.

6. This really only matters if you have a full-face mask.  And in any case, if you are throwing up all the time you are not likely to be sleeping!  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
1. If it's a "planned" nap, then maybe. Generally if I have a map it's more spontaneous, eg reading on a hot afternoon I might doze off.

2. Not an issue I've experienced, but I don't carry my machine in the expectation of using it in the car. It's a Resmed and requires a 24 volt adapter which I don't have.

3. Camping? If God intended for us to camp he wouldn't have invented five star hotels. Smile

4. Unless you're sharing a room with the rellies then I wouldn't think it's something they need to be aware of. If you are sharing a room, then courtesy demands you discuss it with them before-hand (especially if your machine is noisy).

5. I'm going to Europe in a couple of weeks. I will definitely be taking the machine and plan to use it on the plane (I'll be going business class with a fully-flat bed). I don't think it would work too well in the narrow confines of an economy class seat.

6. No - the consequences of throwing up into the mask would be pretty darn messy.
Post Reply Post Reply
1 - on the rare occasion I take a nap, it is planned and I wear my mask. Else I wake up feeling like crap on a stick.

2 - I don't sleep in rest areas. And I don't set myself up to be so tired I need to sleep in a rest area. I plan out my trip. Not that I'm being a Holier Than Thou. I have other medical issues that have to be considered. In my wicked youth, I used to drive like that. Just keep pushing, nap for an hour somewhere. I was more dangerous a driver than if I was drunk!

3 - I'd love to go camping again! And yes, I'd take the CPAP. I don't sleep without it. I make too much noise and feel like crap if I don't. Bears knock on the tent wall to complain. Probably a solar panel set up or rig up some way to charge off the vehicle.

4 - Ahead of time? No. Unless there will be lots of people then I'll just request space near an outlet. With everyone's phones and tablets now, it is getting difficult to find a spare outlet near a couch, ain't it?

5 - Pfft. Yah. Duh. I want to enjoy my vacation. And I don't want the hotel/resort neighbors to file complaints against me. Again.

6 - I have napped sitting up in a chair in a room near the bathroom. Once the barfing slowed down, I put on the mask but stayed near the bathroom. And I clean the heckaroni out of the mask and hose the next day just because of the smell.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I look at it like this: If my eyes are shut and there is a possibility that I will fall asleep then my my mask is on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me too . I always fell better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xPAP replacement midwestguy 2 454 07-31-2022, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
Question [Pressure] New xPAP user - Question about Centrals on OSCAR AeroM 41 3,708 02-21-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: AeroM
  Resmed xPAP - Remote monitoring and Remote set up struts 8 1,376 08-16-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  [Health] Another reason for xPap therapy srlevine1 1 833 12-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air escaping from mouth with XPAP Paula McCabe 20 8,193 11-25-2019, 06:25 AM
Last Post: LeonardoDR
  Thoughts on mouth breathing and xPAP effectiveness? MNsleeplessnights 14 1,921 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Last Post: 70sSanO
  xPAP setting changes at high altitudes (above 8000 feet)? slowriter 3 965 11-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.