Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does ASV Benefit Long-Term?
RE: Does ASV Benefit Long-Term?
(08-29-2019, 11:12 AM)sheepless Wrote: "Is ASV actually beneficial in the long run?"

compared to what?  comparing asv to 'normal inspiration' doesn't seem like a useful comparison for us since it doesn't account for the fact that apneacs don't breathe normally, a fact that leads to plenty of its own significant negative consequences.  my guess is more negatives than using asv, in fact.  a better comparison might be asv vs apap (assuming apap breathing is also different from 'normal' breathing).  

"...is the cure any better than the problem?"

arousal from sensitivity to pressure is undesirable, sure, but I'd say it's worth it if it's also keeping us breathing and  oxygenated.

Yes, ASV vs APAP or ASV vs CPAP are what I'm interested in. I certainly didn't do well on APAP with the Respironics Dreamstation. But at that time, I knew nothing about experimenting with the settings. Possibly they could have been dialed in with better results. And I have no idea what was going on, in terms of AHI etc, with CPAP. I just used the thing for 10 years until it wore out. I felt fine and had no reason to think anything was amiss. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all those comments. I'm continuing to seek additional info from studies -- may get a posting up before long at a professional site (someone I know is part of that world) and if anything interesting comes back, I'll communicate it here. Of course additional thoughts form people here is most welcome too; this seems to be a subject that some others are interested in as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since being on the ASV my Blood pressure has dropped to normal values with no medication
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
Question Could I benefit from going to BiPap VAuto? vinhuard 29 1,684 01-31-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: vinhuard
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,810 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 312 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.