Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Help for a newbie: titration failed
RE: Help for a newbie: titration failed
I'm not 100% sure about this so I'll be interested to see if someone corrects me.

I think your pressure increases against obstructive events including flow limitations. higher pressure can produce more leaks.

I think flow increases to maintain pressure in the presence of leaks. ironically, I'd think increased flow would also contribute to leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Should I be making more of a concerted effort to sleep on my side? I am a habitual side sleeper, but since getting the BIPAP I have switched to sleeping in an almost sitting-up position, partially to deal with aerophagia and partially because that's the only position in which the mask doesn't start leaking loudly. Even then I have to crank the straps down almost painfully tight.

My oh-so-helpful DME gave me no choice of mask, sending me a fit pack and leaving me to my own devices. I called them this week and talked them into sending me a DreamWear nasal cushion mask. I am a little apprehensive about it because my first experience with PAP therapy was when somebody woke me up at 2 a.m. and shoved nasal cushions up my nose and I almost suffocated. I'm hoping now that I'm used to air blowing in my face I'll handle it better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the sitting up position is causing chin-tucking. Read these articles

Positional apnea wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft cervical collar wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

By using the wedge or pillows to elevate your upper body, you have become more prone to positional apnea. As a result your pressures are much higher. If you can resolve this, either by reducing this elevation or using a soft cervical collar, then I think you can move pressure down to EPAP min 8.0, PS 4.0 and max pressure 15.0
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, this was WITH a soft cervical collar, strapped as tight as I could make it. I am using the Releaf Neck Rest. Is there another brand that people have found better results with?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not used any collar yet, but there's a member on Apnea Board that likes his Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar. I think that the sitting up, or nearly so, position may be voiding some of the positive affects the collar is doing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 381 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.