Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone prefer Dreamstations to Resmed?
RE: Does anyone prefer Dreamstations to Resmed?
My wife has a Dreamstation ASV and hated it. SHe just went through a titration study the other night at the request of the insurance company as the Dr wants put her on a CPAP as the AV is doing nothing for her. (But that's another story). She is also on her third Dreamstation in less than 3 years. The first two failed for unknown reasons - threw multiple codes that essentially said send it back. Her Dreamstation is far noisier than my Airsense 10 - I can hear her machine over mine and hers is on the other side of the bed.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow up to let you all know how things turned out: My DME has a policy against giving out ResMeds unless the client has only used ResMed in the past (because they get a better deal on the purchase of Respironics). So I ditched my DME. They didn't have a good mask selection anyway and they never picked up the phone. I returned my Respironics---now I need to find a good way to get rid of (sell) my carrying case, hose, and humidifier.

I signed up with an online DME. They have a large selection of everything and were very willing to give me exactly what I wanted but because they are based out-of-state, my insurance required them to rent it to me for 10 months (if they were based in my state, insurance would just buy it outright). In annoyance, I just purchased the CPAP I wanted on the secondary (used) market. Got an Airsense For Her with about 400 hours for a song ($180). It's in great condition, but I'm currently waiting for my heated tube to show up so I can use it (darn incompatible tubes!). I'll use the online DME for consumables and future masks.

Based on my inspection of the machine, I have the following comments:

1. The filter system on the Respironics seems better. There are two filters and they fit tightly in place, though they are quite small. The design of the ResMed filter doesn't seem as airtight and the default filter is quite coarse--I have some hypoallergenic filters on the way. Anyway I'm considering rigging a system that prefilters the air through my room air purifier before it is drawn into the CPAP. My allergies are a serious nighttime problem.

2. I also don't love that the cellular modem is not removable, but putting it in airplane mode seems like an sufficient solution.

3. I could imagine that the higher center of gravity and smaller footprint make the ResMed easier to tip over. Will have to see whether this is ever actually a problem.

Otherwise I like the design and software of the ResMed more, where they differ. I may post again in this thread after using it for a while with any impressions I get.

Thanks for your input, folks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Super update!

Good for you for firing your DME!!!

I did the same, except my DME was also my sleep "doctor". He refused to give me a good machine (auto), so I told him I'd just give him back the machine I'd gotten from him. He protested. I responded "It's a rental, right?" He said yes. I said "Well, I'm no longer interested in renting it." I gave him the entire thing back - good riddance!

And hooray for you that your insurance covers online DMEs! Mine does not, and that has been a real hindrance.

Wow, you got a STEAL on that For Her machine!!!! Good find!!!!!!

I agree with you on the filters. Good luck with addressing that. I'll be keenly interested in hearing how you resolve that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2020, 12:48 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Wow, you got a STEAL on that For Her machine!!!!  Good find!!!!!!

The seller has 87 more at that price. I'm too inexperienced to know the rules about sharing how to get it in this forum but I would be happy to chat in PM with someone wanting to know how to get in contact.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2020, 11:10 PM)farnsy Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 12:48 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Wow, you got a STEAL on that For Her machine!!!!  Good find!!!!!!

The seller has 87 more at that price. I'm too inexperienced to know the rules about sharing how to get it in this forum but I would be happy to chat in PM with someone wanting to know how to get in contact.

If they're from this forum's supplier list, just say which number.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

If not, you can say their exact name; just don't provide a link. Interested members can just Google it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The seller is EMS Supply on DotMed. They also have a bunch of regular AirSense 10 autoset devices at the same price. Actually there are other sellers there that have the AirSense 10 AutoSet for even cheaper. Note that it did not come with a water tank, power adapter, SD card, filters, bag, or hose. Just the device.

DotMed is an odd site. It assumes you are a broker, dealer, DME, or researcher and the questions you answer when you set up an account reflect this assumption. I answered the questions honestly but there may be some fine print I didn't read in which I promised I wouldn't use it for personal medical purposes. Since I consider regulations or policies preventing folks from accessing their health information or purchasing equipment that they want/need to be immoral, I feel no need to learn about or comply with them, if they exist.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have owned both. Indeed, I still own both a Resmed S9 and a Dreamstation Go.

I much prefer the performance and maintenance of the Dreamstation Go.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have bought a number (3) of S9 VPAP Adaps from EMS supply via dotmed all came as described
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 820 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  There's currently a hold on selling Dreamstations [new DreamStation 2 coming soon] Gideon 9 4,593 04-15-2021, 10:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Odd problem with air flow with Dreamstations racprops 0 1,384 09-15-2020, 11:00 AM
Last Post: racprops
  For those have tried BiPap and CPAP/APAP - Did anyone not prefer the BiPap? Jamesdg89 9 1,367 03-17-2020, 04:25 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Migrating Data between Dreamstations elitheelephant 2 1,200 06-04-2017, 01:36 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Does anybody prefer a FFM if not a mouth breather? Might opt for P10 or N10... StoopidMonkey81 4 1,741 11-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.