Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does my breathing pattern appear to be Chenyne Stokes?
Does my breathing pattern appear to be Chenyne Stokes?
Does this OSCAR data from an Airsense 11 APAP show a Cheyne-Stokes breathing pattern? Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does my breathing pattern appear to be Chenyne Stokes?
Yes! You will need to have CSR (Periodic Breathing) before it is reported. Also, Resmed has mislabeled Periodic Breathing as CSR. So, if you see it reported, you may or may not have true CSR.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought CSR is usually a result of congestive heart failure or strokes. I have no CHF or history of strokes.

A home sleep study indicated that I had OSA before I recently started APAP. Can APAP cause treatment-emergent CSR?
Post Reply Post Reply
While it could be possible, I'd be more inclined to believe it would be periodic breathing due to the CO2 washout that CPAP can cause.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
But doesn't the waxing and waning I can see in the breathing pattern indicate CSR?

Regardless, can new APAP therapy induce the pattern of breathing that you can see in the OSCAR attachments above?

And will my AirSesnse 11 AutoSet ever be able to manage the abnormal breathing pattern you can see?
Post Reply Post Reply
Can anyone suggest setting changes on my ResMed AirSense 11 that may be able to manage the abnormal breathing pattern you can see in my attachments?

Or will I need to get a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV for my periodic breathing pattern and clear-airway events?

I'm asking before I make the effort to get an AirCurve 10 ASV. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the limited data provided, I would first turn off the EPR to see if this reduces the variable breathing.

For future screenshots, please use the following steps:
  1. Make sure that your display is set to the Standard view.  (View > Reset Graphs > Standard)
  2. To take a screenshot of your Daily screen, select one of the following:
    • For Windows or Linux: Use the F12 key
    • For a Mac: Use the Fn+F12  key combination.
This will provide the additional information on the left side.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Please see attached screenshots for March 1 and 2, 2023. Do I need to post any other data for you to make suggestions? Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I hope this additional data will help you determine if I can still use my AirSense 11 or if I need to get a ResMed ASV. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,117 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 178 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.