Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does this indicate palate prolapse?
Does this indicate palate prolapse?
                Palate prolapse....something I hadn't thought about....but as I peruse the boards I am starting to think I should be thinking about it.  I never feel rested, even with low AHI.  Just a little sample, these screenshots - but it happens every night, as I go back through years of OSCAR and Sleepyhead data...

Any thoughts on these therapy screenshots?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does this indicate palate prolapse?
Worth looking into if it's consistent. I don't think there are many solid treatments for it, but I know a member here is to be fitted with an oral appliance that is like a wire that hooks around the palate and keeps it away from the back of the throat so it doesn't flap shut like that. It's swiss-made and I don't know if it's even available here in the states at all.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does this indicate palate prolapse?
Hello

It looks like "palate prolapse" but it can also be mouth breathing and your chart indicates a high level of leak. 
What kind of mask are you using? On my side, I use nasal mask with tape on my mouth and got 0 leak, so It can't be mouth breathing or I miss something...
I suspect also "palate prolapse", first solution I found is using higher level of EPAP. Below 12, I had "palate prolapse" breathing quite often during night but above an EPAP of 12, it doesn't occurs even if it seems that some strange expiration on some breath gave me arousal and wake me up, it is still better with high EPAP if leak are properly managed.
I'm trying since yesterday velumount orthesis that can be found in Swizerland, I just used for 1 night and started to reduce the pressure, I will update on my thread in few days about the result I get from it.

You can also find a lot of information about it on this page https://sites.google.com/view/palatal-prolapse/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palatal Prolapse and Velumount zaienk 20 1,250 04-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 259 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 408 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,922 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 706 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 934 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 347 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.