Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Don't know what I don't know.... newbie...
Update: Don't know what I don't know.... newbie...
Hi DaveL, Sleeprider, Melman and everyone that have commented. 

All comments are very helpful.

How am I doing? Pretty well... I increased my "low end" pressure to 8 and left the upper pressure at 20 on August 28th based on everyone's comments... I didn't want to change too many things so I could see what was working and how (as suggested).... baby steps. I wanted to go for a couple weeks before saying or showing anything. 

It appears that my numbers are trending down over time albeit small steps which makes sense. 

I have posted what my chart looked like just before making the pressure changes and last night  just to keep them all together as well as the current stats.

So, I'm wondering a couple things, It was suggested that perhaps I should lower the upper pressure down to around 14 from 20. with a "tighter band" of upper and lower pressures does the dreamstation react faster to my pressure needs? Does it matter what the upper limit is if i'm averaging around 12-13 and my upper pressure is 20? 

I upped the lower pressure to 8. Should it stay there? I don't feel like I'm fighting it. 

What would you suggest my next step to be? 

Any other aspect that I'm not seeing that I should address? 

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated. 

On a slightly tangential note: I do find myself arm wrestling with the hose from time to time. and If I'm finding myself do that then I'm awake... I have seen hooks that attach to the headboard so the hose in above my head. What are your comments/ experiences with the "mechanical" side of dealing with the headgear and hose? I do find that when I do roll to my side, usually in the morning that my nasal mask tends to spring leaks around the mask that wake me up as well. It is sized correctly according to the little measuring card that came with the machine but the tech that set me up at the beginning had originally suggested I use the mask that was one size up... thoughts?

thank you all for your help.... 

Jim

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Don't know what I don't know.... newbie...
I use a lanyard hooked on the headboard to keep my hose out of the way. Works well and it's about as inexpensive as possible.

Your results look better, and I think you need 8.0 cm as a minimum pressure or more. Your median pressure is 10.0-11.0 and on a Philips machine, that is probably the more appropriate minimum pressure. You have a tendency for flow limitations and RERA that the Philips does not act on proactively. These are obstructive precursors that the Resmed will always increase pressure to prevent apnea and clear the obstruction. The Philips does react to snores and actual OA and H events, but it is often too late, so the higher minimum pressure is the best tool. In the long run, this minimizes the pressure fluctuations by the machine that are disruptive to sleep, so it is usually more restful to use a minimum pressure closer to your needs, and if you were on fixed CPAP we would be using the 90-95% pressure as your fixed pressure.

If you want to turn off the VS2 events, it will clean up your charts and there isn't much we can do with those anyway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update: Don't know what I don't know.... newbie...
(09-18-2019, 09:50 AM)jimcaffey Wrote:  

On a slightly tangential note: I do find myself arm wrestling with the hose from time to time. and If I'm finding myself do that then I'm awake... I have seen hooks that attach to the headboard so the hose in above my head. What are your comments/ experiences with the "mechanical" side of dealing with the headgear and hose? I do find that when I do roll to my side, usually in the morning that my nasal mask tends to spring leaks around the mask that wake me up as well. It is sized correctly according to the little measuring card that came with the machine but the tech that set me up at the beginning had originally suggested I use the mask that was one size up... thoughts?

The Philipps Dreamwear and the Resmed P30i/N30i masks all have the hose connection on the top of your head. I prefer this style to the elephant trunk  Smile 
Maybe you should give one of these a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2019, 10:27 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your results look better, and I think you need 8.0 cm as a minimum pressure or more. Your median pressure is 10.0-11.0 and on a Philips machine, that is probably the more appropriate minimum pressure.  You have a tendency for flow limitations and RERA that the Philips does not act on proactively. 
Hi Sleeprider, 
So... work up to 10.0-11.0 cm as a minimum pressure.... I'll start working up to that and see how it goes.... 
Any need to fuss with the upper end?
I'll give the lanyard a try... 
thanks,
-Jim

Thank you Alexp, I'll give the lanyard a try... now I have something to do with all the conference lanyards I've collected <grin>

jIm
Post Reply Post Reply
The upper end is rarely a problem. The machine that tends to over-pressurize is a Resmed with chronic flow limits. If you set a maximum pressure of 14 cm, it would simply stabilize your pressure in your normal range. I certainly don't see anything over 14 cm being important to your therapy.

A lanyard is something we all have, and it serves to keep the hose out of the way, but allows movement. It's all about comfort once you resolve the apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a "Lanyard" sometimes. I need to use it always....

Worst case, I got entangled with my hose a week ago while sleeping and pulled my cpap machine off the table. It hit the floor, upside down and running. I hurt my back reaching for it...back is almost normal today. Finally. cpap is working well.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, I don't know if you have enough room next to the bed, but I use a night stand with 2-drawers. My machine is in the lower drawer and the tubing and power are routed through a 2-inch hole in the rear of the cabinet.  It is impossible for it to fall, and it is out of sight.  You can see the lanyard supporting the tube.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5043]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the use of a hose hanger or holder if you will, made the most difference in regards to overall comfort improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepRider & Big Guy

thanks!
Blushing with shame. I have a device that will work for me. I just haven't used it recently. I'll hook it up tonight
I've used my cpap on top of the same night stand for years.

Sleep quality improvements come from details like this one.

edit: noise....i have a pad that I bought when I have to kneel down to do work at home. I put that under my cpap so there's less noise transmission. It works well. That was a real issue for me a few years ago when I had an old and noisy machine.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2019, 11:37 AM)DaveL Wrote: SleepRider & Big Guy

thanks!
Blushing with shame.  I have a device that will work for me.  I just haven't used it recently. I'll hook it up tonight
I've used my cpap on top of the same night stand for years.

Sleep quality improvements come from details like this one.

edit: noise....i have a pad that I bought when I have to kneel down to do work at home.  I put that under my cpap so there's less noise transmission.  It works well. That was a real issue for me a few years ago when I had an old and noisy machine.

My Airsense 10 AutoSet is virtually silent. I use some Rubbermaid Grip Liner under it. This stuff is amazing. It's thin, and does not slide around on any surface it may be placed on. Or......anything placed on top of it. 

The longer it's in place, the better it seems to hold tight. My machine is quite safe and secure on top of it. 

I have a very large roll-around tool cabinet for my tools in my garage. I use it in all of the drawers. The tools remain in place and do not slide around when a drawer is opened or closed. 

Anyways, back to my CPAP machine. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as noise goes when I brought it home from my DME supplier. I was very pleased to find out it is noiseless. I don't know for sure if it will get to be noisy as time goes by, but I guess I'll find out then.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 395 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 274 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.