Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3]
Question 
Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3]
I noted that there was a new version of Oscar (v1.2.0) so I decided to download and install it.
It didn't/doesn't work.  
First is said that it needed Oscar or Sleephead Data - even though the old oscar data appeared intact.
Luckily, I also kept SleepyHead on my laptop and kept it updated.  SO when Oscar wanted the SleepyHead data I gave it the location,  It appeared to download the data OK (ie:  the folders are there with today's date).  BUT>>>> now Oscar still won't load/start giving me an error msg again -- unable to write to Oscar directory.  What have I done wrong?  How do I get it to work?  (I do not have my years old original Oscar setup to fall back on).
HELP, PLEASE!...............marc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working.
It works very well on "Linux".
Aren't you on a Windows machine ? If yes, I thought what the OSCAR directory is no more write enable.
Maybe, it's a Windows update.
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are using Windows, we have had reports of anti-virus and other security products blocking OSCAR from writing to disk. One that has been reported is AVG. The solution is to mark OSCAR as an allowed program in whatever way your security tool requires.

Another condition we have seen that can cause this is that the permissions settings in your Documents and OSCAR folders could be set to block writing to disk. This could happen if you have attempted to tighten security by altering default permissions of folders.

A third possibility is that you have located the OSCAR_Data directory in a folder that the operating system will not allow programs to write to (in Windows, program data is not allowed in the Program Files folder).

I have added a description of this problem and solution to the OSCAR Troubleshooting Wiki page.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2021, 12:21 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: If you are using Windows, we have had reports of anti-virus and other security products blocking OSCAR from writing to disk. One that has been reported is AVG. The solution is to mark OSCAR as an allowed program in whatever way your security tool requires.

Another condition we have seen that can cause this is that the permissions settings in your Documents and OSCAR folders could be set to block writing to disk. This could happen if you have attempted to tighten security by altering default permissions of folders.

A third possibility is that you have located the OSCAR_Data directory in a folder that the operating system will not allow programs to write to (in Windows, program data is not allowed in the Program Files folder).

I have added a description of this problem and solution to the OSCAR Troubleshooting Wiki page.

Guy, have you thought of adding this to the Troubleshooting Wiki? We should keep adding these issues as they arise. Let me know if you'd rather I do it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3]
Hmmm. See last line of my post.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Downloading new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3]
Thanks Guy. Looks like you got it. My skim reading did it again.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
new version of Oscar caused it to stop working [solution, see post #3]
OK>>>> I found my old version of Oscar 1.0.1-r-1.  Reinstalled this version and Oscar works again.  (Didn't touch the data folder/s).
Do you think uploading the new version 1.2 to a totally different directory  (ie: Oscar.1.2) would help?
Since the old version is up and running again, I will put off new version for a while until y'all make me feel more comfortable about installing it.
Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you start OSCAR 1.0.1 and do not import any data, how do the graphs for the latest days look? Do they look the same as if you had imported data?
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 87 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR v1.5.2 Not Working on My Chromebook fixed it 4 78 03-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 807 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 88 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  The OSCAR 1.5.1 does not see the notes recorded in the earlier version. G. Szabo 2 205 02-26-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New software version doesn't view properly, wide screen mode? piratekitty 3 366 02-10-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.