Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dream station APAP uses less pressure than ResMed AirSense APAP?
Dream station APAP uses less pressure than ResMed AirSense APAP?
Hello,

I cannot display Dream Station APAP waveform plots with OSCAR.  A reading of the forum suggests is an error in  OSCAR.

I am eager to see those waveform, plots for this reason.  I had used a ResMed AirSense APAP machine.  I just replaced it with a Dream Station APAP for the last three nights.

The good news is that it keeps my obstructive sleep apneas at 0.5 events per hour, which is very good.  The overall AHI is about 2.2 events per hour, also good.  But most of them are clear airway events, which do not matter much, according to my sleep doctor.

The puzzling news concerns pressure.  My minimum pressure is 9 cm and maximum pressure is 13 cm.  According to the OSCAR statistics, my pressure waveform stays close to 9 cm most of the night and never gets higher than 10 cm.  This is puzzling, because with the ResMed machine my pressure average was around 11 cm, and most nights it went up to 13 cm for at least five minutes.  I do not understand why the new machine treats my apnea as well as the resident machine, with much less pressure.

I thought it might clarify things to look at the OSCAR waveform plot of pressure versus time.  Is there any other way to look at this plot, such as sleepyhead?

Even if I could, I expect it would show that very small pressure increases above minimum were enough to control the apnea.  How is that possible?  My sleep doctor says that the dream station is somewhat less aggressive at apnea treatment.  This would suggest the AHI for the ResMed machine would be lower than for the Dream Station.,  But they are about the same.

To add to the confusion, I have been quite tired the last two days.  This could happen for several reasons, including the Dream Station treating the apnea more poorly.

I am submitting this note to both the general forum and the software form, because it involves both kinds of issues.

Thanks for any ideas, you might have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dream station APAP uses less pressure than ResMed AirSense APAP?
My (limited) understanding is that the Dreamstation algorithm does not respond as quickly or intensely to flow limitations and RERAs when compared with the Resmed machine.
My guess is that the Resmed is working harder to fix these, whereas as the Dreamstation is ignoring them for the most part.
Flow limits and RERAs can be as damaging to a good night's sleep.

My Dreamstation Go doesn't even recognise most flow limitations, I can see them clearly in the waveform on OSCAR, but they are not usually marked in the event window. I've ended up setting the minimum much higher than needed, to the extent that it's basically running as a CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
This has nothing to do with software, and I deleted the duplicate thread.

Resmed and Respironics machines react differently, and provide very different delivery of pressure depending on the settings and comfort or expiratory relief options set. It sounds like your results are similar, but pressure is 1 to 2 cm higher with Resmed. This is pretty normal, and yet I suspect if we could view your Resmed data, we could help your reduce events with lower pressure. Your Philips Respironics Dreamstation APAP is compatible with OSCAR, and if you need help getting setup, the Software Help forum is the place for that question.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SR the OP has stated that Oscar is not displaying the Dreamstation waveform plots. That's a software issue, I think, which is why this was also posted in the software forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct. I restored the part of that post that asks that question. I hope that will get the answer needed without a duplicate thread. The other post is restored here. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid327382
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first thing I would suggest is to create a new profile for the new machine then import the a Dreamstation data into that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 497 6 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,849 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,637 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.