Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation tube noise wakes up wife if I disconnect.
DreamStation tube noise wakes up wife if I disconnect.
I just switched from a Resmed Airsense APAP to a Philips Respironics DreamStation APAP, because my ResMed machine failed three times in two and one half years.  With this new machine, when I disconnect to go to the bathroom, the tube noise gets louder for a while, and that wakes up my wife.

If I turn off APAP therapy before I disconnect the mask, there is no noise.  After I later reconnect the mask, I then turn therapy back on. This approach does not wake her up, because tube noise is just the low level that occurs when mask and APAP are on.

My question does this scheme damage or shorten the lifetime of the machine, or does it degrade the APAP therapy?

Jaff
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation tube noise wakes up wife if I disconnect.
Hi mjr, for nearly 20 years I have stopped machine for pit stops using several makes of machine with no machine failures ever for any reason. My current PR Dream Station has been in use for 2-1/2 years. I think you’re safe doing that.
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2020, 09:03 PM)mjrPdqkLguUgGLE Wrote: If I turn off APAP therapy before I disconnect the mask, there is no noise.

That's what I do.

Quote:After I later reconnect the mask, I then turn therapy back on.

Mine is set to come back on automatically almost as soon as I connect.

Quote:My question does this scheme damage or shorten the lifetime of the machine, or does it degrade the APAP therapy?

I don't think it causes any problems.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to get up during the night to go to the bathroom. I reach over and turn my machine off. When I return to bed, I simply plug the hose back into my mask and start breathing. My machine automatically turns itself back on. 

As others have stated, your machine won't suffer any ill effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn’t effect therapy at all as long as you put it back on before going back to sleep. As for damaging the machine, absolutely not. Turning it off and on won’t hurt it at all. If that was the case millions of us that use the bathroom at night would be slowly destroying our machines. I’ve read a lot about sleep apnea since being diagnosed and I haven’t seen one instance of that happening. I think having those ResMeds fail on you was a case of bad luck with the machines. Or possibly they all came from a bad batch that somehow made it through QA and QC
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m now in the habit of pressing the stop button anytime I wake up. If I just go back to sleep, it will restart automatically, but the brief gap helps with interpreting the data. If I need to get up, I just hold take the mask off before it restarts.

The Resmed Air* breath detection seems to be a little more sensitive than the Respironics  version. With Respironics, I sometimes found it helpful to cover the vents with my fingers as I took a deep breath to get it to restart faster.
Post Reply Post Reply
UiI do have to be careful to put the mask back on the moment I lie back down though, or I will fall asleep without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
As discussed earlier in this thread, the Dream Station "automatic on" works well after a bathroom break.  I have not succeeded in getting the "automatic off" clinical menu option to work.  The  latter would be great, because then I could simply disconnect the tube.

I appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
mjrPdqkLguUgGLE
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,254 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 84 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 141 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,602 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 464 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.