Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamwear full face mask, too small
Dreamwear full face mask, too small
I have been using CPAP for about a month, and I like the dreamwear full face mask (i.e. over mouth and with a nose pillow), however, it feels too small, and my software tells me it is leaking badly for hours every night.

I am using large, but I also tried a wide for fit.  The wide is actually only a medium sized mask, but with room for wider nose/nostrils, and that is not my issue.

Can anyone recommend a similar style mask that is larger?  I have a big head/face - hats don't usually fit me, its impossible to find glasses frames that are big enough, etc.  The mask's hard plastic plate that the cushion fits in just doesn't seem big enough.  It just barely covers my mouth width-wise (from one corner of my mouth to the other), and it could also stand to be a little bit bigger in the other direction (from my nose down to my chin).

Any suggestions appreciated!

PS I am open to the idea of a nose only mask... but I am sort of paranoid that I'll just end up breathing through my mouth and not getting any benefit from CPAP that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamwear full face mask, too small
mask fit is probably the most difficult part of cpap. I've never used anything but nasal pillow mask & think it's great. small, light, not too uncomfortable, opens congested sinuses... but mouth leaks can be a big problem. I wear a soft cervical collar to keep mouth closed. it mostly even keeps lip leaks to a minimum. lots to read on this site about various methods of managing mouth leaks. also re mask fit & mask reviews. no harm trying if you're going to spend $ on trying other masks anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried the Dreamwear FF and had major leak issues. The ResMed version, the F30, feels even smaller nose-wise to me and was a waste of money (I spent too much time trying to get it to work for me to use Vendor Number 1's "return insurance"). My go to mask is still the original Dreamwear nasal cushion (not the pillows) - it fits my big, but not wide, nose pretty well. Sometimes, though, I do have to use a cervical collar, like helpless, to help keep my mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got this mask just for the top swivel hose connect and it works great! I found I have the same problems as you do with its size and fit. But my favorite for comfort is the ResMed AirFit N-20, a nasal mask. because I liked it so much I got the ResMed AirFit F-20 full Face as my backup. Unless you get congested a lot, use the full face mask only as a backup. To avoid the mouth breathing issues there is also a chin strap that I am going to try out soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problems with mouth breathing.
Use a chin strap for a month or so - -
You'll learn to keep your mouth shut.  My wife has warned me about that several times.
-
I use the Dreamwear Nasal.  I tried the pillows - but did NOT like them.  Maybe a little less leakage with pillows - - YMMV.
-
My first masks were full nasal (no mouth coverage) - - but I kept getting tangled up in the nose hose.
Dreamwear comes off the top of your head - - so no entanglement when you roll over.
Post Reply Post Reply
Schcragg:  

In all the masks i have (many), all of them are size large. There is one I can't use (Resmed Mirage Liberty ) because by mistake I ordered a small model & the small plastic frame is still too wide for my mouth (leaks) Annoyed-and-disappointed . See were I'm going, just imagine the large size. This mask covers your mouth & the nose part are pillows ( s-m-l ). It is a bit $$$ ( $175-$200) so you could check for a provider who has a 30 days trial. BTW the large size headgear is made for a big head.

It's a very good quality mask & the pillows are interchangeable, you can set it up with a m/l pillow if you have different size nostrils, no restrictions if you wear reading glasses.
Check it out, could be what you need!   Dont-know

sb.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,601 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.