Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
Dry mouth
About 2 months ago I started waking up with my mouth and throat completely dry. First this has happened in the 3 years I've been on CPAP. It was suggested that I tape my mouth. That worked for a few weeks and now the dryness if back. It's so bad it wakes my up at night.  I'm using a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow. I switched to a Dreamwear full  face mask but it leaked so much around the seals that it kept waking me up. I finally got my pressures worked out and was feeling really good(lost 30lbs over the summer) now I'm back to waking up feeling like crap. I woke up early this morning and pulled off the mouth tape and as I lay there,  air  kept popping out of my mouth. Could it be that I need to lower the pressure since I lost weight? Right now pressures are - 8 ramp and 9.4 continuous with EPR at 1. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth
Without seeing OSCAR data, there's no way we can suggest adjusting pressures. Typically with Respironics machines, the pressures need to stay at or very near correct therapy pressures. Even with the 30 pound weight loss, your apnea counts are probably just a little lower than where they were prior. In 2016, I had bariatric surgery that helped me lose 100 pounds and it did halve my AHI to 37. So it's still in the severe AHI area. I won't suggest lowering pressures at all without the OSCAR data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile states a pressure range of 4-20.  I assume that's incorrect.  With a DreamStation, using a static pressure should be around your 90% number.  

I agree with Dave though, we need to see your data, leak rate and pressure.  Follow the link in my signature line and post your data from the daily page of OSCAR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry. I didn't realize my profile was out of date. I have a new machine and new doctor and will be getting new sleep study. Here is the last 2 nights for Oscar.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is not the definitive answer, but I think you may want to get a pressure range somewhere like 8-12 instead of straight/static CPAP, and maybe an EPR increase to 2 and then disable Ramp. I'd also suggest keeping an eye on the Clear Airway/Central Apnea events as these by nature fluctuate in a consistently inconsistent manner. However, if these CA are made into a bigger problem by any of these pressure edits, then revert back to what the prior/current settings are now. Other than the dry mouth symptom, how do you feel about therapy?

PS it sounds like air is getting into your mouth and causing it to dry out. The popping you mention after removing tape is air leaking past your tongue from your throat to your mouth as your tongue seal is compromised.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Variable pressure doesn't work for me at all. I spent 2 months trying different pressures and settings and the current one are the ones that worked the best. I went to static 9.4 in June and it was great until October when the dry mouth started. I lost 30 lbs between June and Oct. That's why I thought there might be a  link to the pressure.
To clarify, I started CPAP in Sep 2017. In 3 years my doctor never did a titration or adjusted my pressures. That's why I'm doing this on my own until I can see the new doctor. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
OK that's good. We need important info such as this. I can't suggest lowering the pressure with the info seen. Adjusting your own pressures is quite acceptable IMO. I've done all my own settings on the ASV for the 4 years I've had it save for the current settings to prove to my new doc that a machine change is needed.

OK regardless of that, ultimately it's up to you to decide what needs adjusted and by how much. This would be my suggestion, do not change settings, but consider how to better control the tongue seal that affects airflow into your mouth to reduce the dried out effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned down the pressure and and the next day I felt better than I have in a long time. There was still a little air leaking past my tongue but it didn't really bother me. No dryness and the tape stayed on my mouth. Last night I had a hard time sleeping. I don't think it had anything to do with CPAP but I still felt pretty good. Cycled 10 miles. Something weird happened on the Oscar read out. Second screen shot. The big leaks are me taking the mask off to get up and walk around. I just scheduled my over night sleep study. Paper work says Sleep Staging with > 3 Addit Parameters W CPAP TITRATION. Don't know what most of that means. Thanks again.

I also discover that if I put a piece of surgical tape on the top of the nasal pillow and anchor it to the bridge of my nose the pillow doesn't loose it's seal when I move around or lay on my side. that's been my only complaint about the P10.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.