Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
Dry mouth
CPAP since 2012, currently Respironics BiPAP or Resmed VPAP (I have two machines), 15-25 CmH20, AHI average < 2.0, always under 5.0.

I have long had a problem with mouth breathing, or so I thought. For a long time I used a chinstrap (homemade), and it helps, but for the past year or so I have been experiencing dry mouth even though the chin strap is working well and leaks are normal. In fact, when I wake up in the middle of the night my mouth is dry, but my mouth is completely closed.

It seems to me that the problem is not mouth breathing but, rather, inadequate flow of saliva.

I have a (possibly) related problem with tears. My tear ducts don't work properly. Allergies bring on tears, but the tears do not drain from the eyes. All day long I am constantly daubing tears out of my eyes.

I don't know if the problem with tears is related to waking up with a dry mouth. Ducts for tears and saliva work a lot the same. They both involve fluid movement, so there may be a connection.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth
I too have experienced both. A certain amount of dry mouth is unavoidable because saliva is pressure driven and applying pressure from a cpap will reduce the ability to get sufficient saliva. Combine that with the drying effect of mouth leaks, and you get severe dry mouth. 

As for the eyes, that can be an eye problem. There are “drains” in the eye that remove excess tears and they can be plugged. My wife had tubes inserted into the eyes to solve that problem. It is a very simple and painless fix.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 364 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.