Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do you use a buckwheat pillow to get the best results?
RE: How do you use a buckwheat pillow to get the best results?
maybe it varies by brand but in 3 years or so with my buckwheat pillow I haven't ever noticed any noise and I'm pretty sensitive to it. my wife sometimes complains about the sound of air flow, especially leaks, my occasional snoring, cold vent air flowing her way... but never about pillows.

I just went and prodded and bunched up all the pillows on our bed, there's like 5 or 6 of them, of various materials (foam, down, fake down, poly) and I have to admit the buckwheat makes a shade more sound, but evidently it's negligible since I've never noticed. (thanks in advance if becomes one of those things once pointed can't be ignored! just kidding.) :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
When I started my search, I went to Amazon and there all different sizes, shapes and price. Some as cheep as $30. Mine was made in U.S.A. And came from Phoenix, and cost $100. It was a standard size pillow and is high quality. 

There is not a noise problem with mine. Is it absolutely silent, no, but the slightest leek makes more noise than the buckwheat. 

My thought, “Buyer Beware”.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2021, 08:47 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: But the noise...any comments on the noise from these pillows? for you and / or your better half?

When you move the pillow, it makes a sort of shuffling noise due to the buckwheat being shifted around.

But when you sleep on the pillow, nothing is moving, so there's no noise at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love my buckwheat pillow. I bought the Comfy Comfy brand in what they call the "traditional" size from Amazon. I think it is traditional in Japan, but not here in the US. It's 14" tall and 20" wide. I really like the smaller size. I slide it sideways into a standard size pillow case, then fold the unused half behind and it fits fine.

It's easy to move the buckwheat hulls around to make it fit yourself perfectly. I too wondered if it would be noisy, but it's not. To keep my head at a good angle for cpap I poke my hand in where I want my head to lie, then nudge the bottom up under my neck and sleep like a baby. It's just lovely to sleep on.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear the noise is not an issue for you or your loved ones.

Guess I will have to bite the bullet and give one of these a go.
I might try one of the smaller sizes. (With my standard size pillow the F30i connector or Dreamwear FFM top of head connector often blows into my pillow: so a smaller pillow should help with that.)

I do often wake up with sore neck muscles, so maybe if the buckwheat can reduce that, that will be one less thing disturbing my sleep.

Thanks for the feedback!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2021, 10:50 AM)Rcgop Wrote: I just ordered a buckwheat pillow and am looking for advice on how to get the best results. I sleep on my back most of the time an believe I am tucking my chin causing my AHI and pressure to be higher than it needs to be. 

Thanks for any help in advance. ?

Good post.

It's time for me to replace my old cpap pillow. I believe I tuck my chin too. I don't have skill interpreting OSCAR. I wonder if it would show in my OSCAR readings?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is time for me to try a buckwheat hull pillow!

Does anyone have any links to the pillows mentioned here?  I searched Amazon for the FaceFit or any buckwheat pillow with foam chunks and squared sides but could not find any... I am definitely interested in that type.  I see the ComfyComfy does not have the foam chunks... just hulls... does the foam help soften it up a bit or not really necessary?

How do the cheaper versions on Amazon and the ComfyComfy compare with the Pur-Sleep CPAPFit pillow?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Pur-Sleep pillow with the buckwheat and foam, and I also have a Bean Products WheatDreamz pillow that's only buckwheat.  They're very similar, although the one with foam does have a bit more softness to it.  This sounds like a preferable thing, until you realize that it changes shape easier than an all-buckwheat pillow, which can cause some interesting position changes while you're asleep. 

I like them both and alternate between them.  The WheatDreams wasn't that much cheaper than the Pur-Sleep, but I stuck with the lowest price that had a built-in zipper, since I knew I would need to change the amount of fill in the pillow.  Pillows without a zipper are much cheaper, but I recommend against them...you'll probably be changing the fill levels multiple times as you get used to the pillow. 

It did take a few nights to get used to both of them.  They are not "soft", which feels strange at first, but is very comforting after awhile.  And I can configure the pillow around the mask and hose easily just by sweeping the buckwheat around.

The WheatDreamz was from Amazon.  I found that the Pur-Sleep had to be ordered directly from their website.  
(Pur-Sleep's communication and customer service was excellent, so I do recommend them heartily.  Shipping took a bit longer than Amazon, but not by much.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I got mine from pinetales.com. Got great service but the most important was the information about the product. Even if you don’t buy from them the info is worth the visit. 

The bamboo cover doesn’t sound soft but it is the softest material I have seen. 

No noise except when you move, and you can shape it (some what) so to allow for the shape of the face mask.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  I was reading some reviews of buckwheat pillows... some say that if you have allergies to grasses you may have an allergic reaction to buckwheat pillows.  It does not seem like too many reviews bring it up, so it seems like a rare thing... but makes me want to find one with a good return policy just in case.  CPAP really helps my sinuses every day... I would hate to reverse that by sleeping on a pile of allergens... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 154 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 127 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,855 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.