Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure?
Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure?
Has anyone tried this? Or had ear tubes prior to starting CPAP?

I did some Googling but most of what I could find was for kids with CPAP and ear fluid, not necessary eustachian tube issues.

The docs are still unsure as to if I have Meneire's but did acknowledge that some of the ear fullness is easily blamed on CPAP use. But because I've used it for so long and this is a fairly new thing, not all the blame can be put there. Apparently it is quite common with CPAP users. To which a lot of us go "duh".

I've also recently had a bout with fluid behind the ear drum again (not with the ear that hurt, though! yeah, I'm weird, we've established that). My GP taught me a new way to clear my ears which mostly works but at least now I know I won't do damage! (hold nose and gently, very gently breathe out against it. if it doesn't "pop" try again later. ent said to drink water while doing it.)

So I was wondering if anyone has tried ear tubes? Formal name is myringotmy with or without typanostomy tube.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure?
I don't have tubes so I can't comment there. My ASV sometimes does add pressure to the ears and that method you've mentioned does help. It's the same pressure relief method I've used for elevation changes for quite a few years.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd always been told holding and pushing breath out was dangerous. So I'd never done it. She said the key was to do it gently and steady, not sudden and full on.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
If your ear fullness persists after performing the valsalva maneuver, you might have a physiological problem.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I use too much pressure to relieve the pressure imbalance, I'll get air leaking through the right eardrum which was ruptured a real long time ago. Although I can't whistle with my right ear it's probably close to it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2019, 12:53 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If I use too much pressure to relieve the pressure imbalance, I'll get air leaking through the right eardrum which was ruptured a real long time ago. Although I can't whistle with my right ear it's probably close to it.

ROFL Oh, that makes for an interesting "stupid human tricks" scene on one of those talk shows. Who did that? David Letterman?

I get air to leak out of my eye (tear duct I suppose) when I am using the CPAP. I need a wee little party horn or kazoo for it. Hey, we could form a band!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2019, 01:34 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: If your ear fullness persists after performing the valsalva maneuver, you might have a physiological problem.

I had a CT scan of my head last year, ordered by the ENT. We were looking for reasons for my symptoms (vertigo, ear fullness, ear pain, tinnitus). Not only did they find I had a brain (I waved the proof in front of several friends) but there was no tumor, no eustachian tube issues, etc.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I could use an old fashioned ear horn and play something I suppose. Then I'll really be playing by ear.
Post Reply Post Reply
HA! Thanks! We'll go on the road. Vaudeville.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm I guess we could be called The Sarcastics. Notice how well this thread has been on topic the whole time? Right, I didn't either. Was probably that Dave guy's fault.

I'll go get a coffee now so you might get some real answers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 279 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 582 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.