Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Eating and snacking before bed?
Eating and snacking before bed?
I’m just curious if eating or having a snack before bed can disturb your sleep?

This is my routine:

We eat dinner around 6:00pm then around 7:30 pm I may have a little bowl of granola/milk. 

Some nights I will have plain yogurt instead of the cereal.  But not eat anything after 8:00pm but always have a glass of milk at 9:30 and then turn in at 10:00 pm.

Do you think this snacking can disturb ones sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Eating and snacking before bed?
if in doubt, try going without for a couple weeks to see if you can discern a difference.

I expect the sleep hygiene proponents probably say yes & it makes sense to me that it might for some & not for others, but generally I'd say probably not. your menu seems pretty benign & it's a couple hours before bed.

what do you think? have you had acid reflux, indigestion, frequent awakenings, nocturia or any other reason to think eating is disturbing your sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Bingo, frequent awakenings, but not all the time. I have been ruling out things and tweaking my routine, getting rid of the sugar, alcohol ect. to be able to fall and stay asleep.

I think I’m a fragmented sleeper for some reason. Its probably just an age thing since I’m 67.

Just looking for other ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 64 with severely fragmented sleep (slowly improving) and I'm not sure I believe anymore that age alone is a reason for sleep problems. as you know, lots of things can fragment sleep. once you're confident your apnea is controlled, you have to look elsewhere, as you're doing.

in my case it took about 2 years of feeling lousy even with treatment to understand that periodic limb movements are a problem for me. the sleep doc never mentioned them, even when at 3 different appointments I complained about restless legs. two requests for my sleep study records yielded summaries only. only after the 3rd request did I learn that they noted arousals from plm. (many docs seem to ignore everything that isn't osa & cpap/apap.)

I have no idea if that's your problem. I mention it as an example that affects me. (fwiw, plm is visible in my flow rate charts & I've seen it in others.)

besides scrutinizing your charts for arousals from apnea, upper airway resistance, flow limitations & respiratory effort (rera), you are wise to make sure your sleep hygiene is supporting rather than hindering your sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got GERD, acid reflux that can be severe. I must stop eating at least an hour before bed. If not, acid can creep into the esophagus. So I'd say no food about an hour before sleep may be helpful for you, acid reflux or not.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I have been on cpap over a year and made big improvements thanks to this forum.
I have never posted charts because I actually enjoyed learning and making adjustments on my own and that’s how I learn. I can sleep 8 or 9 hrs. but it’s not all quality sleep. Thus my question about eating. It’s probably time to put up some charts and get some expert advice. It’s not that I’m always tired, I just think I can do a little better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 65 and all that I know, is that as you get older, things do not get better. Once you accept that fact, you are better off for it.

Growing old doesn't bother me in the least. We all do it. There are no exceptions to the rule, and it is a rule. Knowing that the aches & pains are going to be more frequent prepares me for them. Not having the energy one did when younger, is to be expected. Visiting the doctor more often than you did 20 some years ago, is something that is going to occur. 

All in all, I'm okay with it all. No way would I want to be young again in this day & age. I feel bad for the young parents with multiple children. I can't imagine what this world is going to be like in another 20 yrs. or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep better if I do have a snack before bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Eating and snacking before bed? updated

Can someone please look at these charts and give me some suggestions . Thank You

not very clear is it. Dang
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not seeing anything very bad about the chart data, then again, I'm not the chart and setting guru guys. Is there a complaint to address, like I feel...?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Night Eating kevinmiller 5 1,660 09-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Does triptophan from eating turkey reduce AHI? Sleeprider 7 1,965 11-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Neti Pot linked to "brain eating amoeba" SuperSleeper 23 18,886 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.