Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Eating and snacking before bed?
RE: Eating and snacking before bed?
The question, as stated, will have many '...it depends on...' aspects to it.

Snacking, per se, is not a bad thing....IF....IF...what you are snacking on isn't high fat and high carb.  The former will be slower to pass through the gut and will quite possibly exacerbate, or bring about, GERD.  The latter will spike insulin, which is only good if you are exercising, or plan to within an hour or so after the snack.  If you eat at the TV remote, or at the computer, or reading, or...…..in bed...., you are going to force your cells to either accept the energy the insulin wants to impose on them, or you'll force the cells to reject it and it'll cause insulin resistance, something you don't want until you know you're about to die (then it's moot).

If you crave something crunchy, eat a celery stick with half a tbsp. or natural (oily) peanut butter in the 'channel'.  Don't use the homogenized ones that live on shelves for decades because their second ingredient is almost universally sugar.  A carb.  Insulin response.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would run with EPR=2, You haven't found an appreciable difference between EPR=2 and EPR=3 and EPR=2 give you a slightly less CAI.

Re-evaluate in a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2020, 05:02 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would run with EPR=2,  You haven't found an appreciable difference between EPR=2 and EPR=3 and EPR=2 give you a slightly less CAI.

Re-evaluate in a month.

Thank you bonjour! You just confirmed what I was thinking also. Thanks so much! like
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2020, 05:46 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I’m just curious if eating or having a snack before bed can disturb your sleep?

Disturb my sleep?  I have just experienced exactly the opposite.

Chronic insomnia for many years (staying, not getting to sleep), 3 - 4 hours max, and it hasn't changed after nearly 6 months on CPAP; however:

At bedtime the other night after my usual meal about 5pm, I felt distinctly peckish.  Nothing much in the fridge appealed but I did eat a bit of Cheddar cheese.

When I woke I simply could not believe the clock - I had slept for 6 hours.  That has not happened since I can remember when!!

Googling Cheddar cheese, I come up with TryptophanTryptophan affects Serotonin/Melatonin and Cheddar cheese apparently has more Tryptophan than turkey and turkey is renowned for making people feel sleepy after eating.

It worked again last night.  Cheddar cheese is my magic sleeping pill? like
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm skeptical it would have much effect but stay with it if it's working for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder what makes you say that?
Post Reply Post Reply
the short answer is I don't believe an ounce or two of cheese will have a noticable effect. I don't know this so take it with a grain of tryptophan (!).

the longer answer:
1. I eat a fair amount of cheddar cheese (milk & turkey too) & haven't noticed any sleep benefit.
2. for a couple / few years in the early 80's I took a tryptophan supplement before over the counter sales were prohibited, and I never noticed any sleep benefit.
3. I'll have to look for citations but I'm pretty sure I've read the turkey thing is a myth. who knows though, so many 'facts' about nutrition have changed & changed again in my lifetime...
4. my skepticism is personal & subjective but things can affect different people differently so in general I'm in favor of whatever works for you, whether it works for me or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your msg; much appreciated.  Sad to say  it looks as though that cheese and 6 hour night was just a fluke, as I'm back to my 'normal' 3 - 4 hours. 

Wish it had been the magic sleeping pill, a regular 6 hours would be wonderful!  Still can't help wondering where that 6 hours came from though.  My events were no more nor  less than usual.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife would be so happy if cheese could ensure an awesome sleep! Add chocolate to that wish list and neither of us would ever wake up Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Older folk have all kinds of sleep patterns. A friend 78 who had severe prostrate issues developed the habit of getting up hourly to use the restroom. After the prostrate issues were resolved, he could not shake that pattern. Another friend, a Vietnam vet, has been a super light sleeper since the war and routinely wakes many times during the night. One other lady keeps telling me she never sleeps at all - just naps sometimes. (A doctor diagnosed her with a strange kind of narcolepsy and said she did sleep but was unaware of it.) I am blessed with the ability to sleep 6 to 8 hours pretty solid (if wearing my CPAP) and, if called by the restroom during the night, can get back to sleep quickly. I have a fixed routine before bed most nights. A little mindless TV, reading a little C.S. Lewis, making some notes about the morrow, doing the pills and CPAP filling stuff, then going to bed. My rooms are darkened a few hours before bed. Food and even coffee seem to have little impact on my sleeping. Works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Night Eating kevinmiller 5 1,659 09-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Does triptophan from eating turkey reduce AHI? Sleeprider 7 1,964 11-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Neti Pot linked to "brain eating amoeba" SuperSleeper 23 18,876 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.