Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Effect of anesthesia?
Effect of anesthesia?
Hi - I'm wondering if others have experienced an increase in AHI readings a week or two after anesthesia?   I had some eye surgery 2 weeks ago, lasted 3 hours, had a mild sedative throughout.   Now - 2 weeks later - my eyes are healing but my AHI keeps increasing.   From my usual readings of 1.0 to 2.5, I have gotten 6, 8, 8.5 and 9.5 over the last 4 nights.  No other real changes in my diet or habits or levels of stress - wondering if this could be some reaction to my body getting over the anesthesia?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Effect of anesthesia?
(12-19-2018, 04:27 PM)JaneAM Wrote: Hi - I'm wondering if others have experienced an increase in AHI readings a week or two after anesthesia?   I had some eye surgery 2 weeks ago, lasted 3 hours, had a mild sedative throughout.   Now - 2 weeks later - my eyes are healing but my AHI keeps increasing.   From my usual readings of 1.0 to 2.5, I have gotten 6, 8, 8.5 and 9.5 over the last 4 nights.  No other real changes in my diet or habits or levels of stress - wondering if this could be some reaction to my body getting over the anesthesia?

We can't really comment without knowing more about the type of events your having. You will need to post some before and after Sleepy head graphs so we have some sort of idea what's going on
Post Reply Post Reply
I underwent an Endoscopy about a week ago. They used Diprivan (Propofol) on me. Went out fast and came back with 0 side affects. 

I've never had any issues with any kind of anesthesia. My CPAP AHI readings remained the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a longtime XPAP user (31 years) and have had several anaesthetised experiences across the years and have never noticed any CPAP problems later. However, I can see how one might have a problem the first nigh afterward with residual effects. And I have no idea whether I ever had propofol.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't honestly claim any expertise or even experience in your increased AHI, but the increasing trend suggests it has little-to-nothing related to the surgery now many days in the past.  Had it gone quickly up to 5 or above on that very first evening, and then begun to back off, I'd say yeah...but not the way I think you're describing it.  This is another matter, maybe change of preferred sleeping position suddenly (and yes, possibly due to the surgery that way), or something to do with your headgear/mask.

Upon further pondering, about the furthest I feel comfortable supposing would possibly be swollen tissues for some reason that has altered your fit?  Water retention...mebbe?  Sounds like a heckuva stretch...
Post Reply Post Reply
Propofol is great! Knocks you out like a light and you come back feeling very refreshed. No after affects with me at all.  

I've had it now a few times. Always a positive experience. And yes, it's the same stuff Michael Jackson OD'd on.
Post Reply Post Reply
As stated above, we can see no reason for the increase in AHI without looking at your nightly Sleepyhead charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
After my surgery, my central events increased for about 2 weeks I think. They slowly came down. The older we are, the longer it takes anesthesia to leave our system, especially for those who have extensive surgery and are under it for a while.

My surgery was neck surgery and I was in a brace, uncomfortable as heck, and sleeping in weird times in weird positions, and on some wonky pain meds. And I'm prone to have my CA events fluctuate.

If yours is increasing that dramatically and is still increasing, then something else is going on. Could be you are sleeping on your back more. Could be any new medication. I strongly suggest you speak to your GP about it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the offer to look at data.  When I have tried to post it before, my charts appear all blacked out when I upload them.   I can see them on my computer, but something gets lost in the upload.  If I have time I'll try to fix this - but likely would be after Christmas.  Anyway, appreciate your response!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - yes, I had propofol - but am experiencing a big increase in central apneas.  I think I am really sensitive to any sort of anesthesia.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia Jen0628jen 4 493 09-14-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: car54
  Severe central apnea as side effect of Brilinta Remfan 9 1,681 06-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Ivy woods
  [CPAP] DS2 12mm vs 15mm tubing -effect on AHI arpegio 0 622 02-24-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: arpegio
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,065 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  OSCAR Oximetry settings has no effect on SPO2 event number JohnAT 5 687 08-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Last Post: JohnAT
  Harmonica effect permabear 9 1,237 04-27-2022, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What happens to CSA people under general anesthesia ? Do we just stop breathing? S. Manz 18 2,491 10-19-2021, 04:57 PM
Last Post: DaveCar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.