Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The collar works for me!
RE: The collar works for me!
I think the mask type is also important in determining the need for a collar. When I was using a nasal cradle (Dreamwear), my AHIs were around 0.2-0.8. As I was mouth-breeding, I was looking for solutions for dry mouth and leaks and started using a full face mask (Dreamwear Full Face mask). My AHIs for the first few days with the full face mask jumped to 5-6. When I used a collar, they reverted to 0.2-0.5s. The fullface mask has  2 pairs of straps and the lower ones pull your chin in, narrowing the passage. The nasal one doesn't have anything pulling your chin. As a result, I need to use a collar if I wear the fullface mask. If I switch to nasal, I may not need it but it still helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting about the lower straps pulling your chin in. I'll test that out.

I started using a collar with both my nasal pillows and my P30 airfit. My leak rate is way lower with the collar on the P30. I still mouth breathe, but less, with nasal pillows. so now, it's been the P30 and the collar with very low AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first post as a new member. I hope I don't get in trouble for bring up an old thread from November. I am interested in trying a soft collar but Amazon has many different heights from 2" to 4.5" How do I find out the height I need? Finding my neck size is no biggy. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board!  

If you measure from the top of your collar bone to the bottom of your jaw, that's the basic measurement.  You may be plus or minus a bit, but that will get you in the ball park.  If the collar is way too tall, it won't be comfortable.  Too short, and it looses it's effectiveness.  You are trying to avoid tucking your chin - that's what restricts airflow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2021, 03:53 PM)happydreams Wrote: Welcome to Apnea Board!  

If you measure from the top of your collar bone to the bottom of your jaw, that's the basic measurement.  You may be plus or minus a bit, but that will get you in the ball park.  If the collar is way too tall, it won't be comfortable.  Too short, and it looses it's effectiveness.  You are trying to avoid tucking your chin - that's what restricts airflow.

So this just keeps our neck in line? It is not to help with keeping our mouth closed when using pillow mask? I want to switch from a full-face Dreamwear to their pillow but I know I am going to have issues keeping my mouth shut. Many mornings I wake up with a leather tongue due to mouth breathing sometimes during the night my sinuses closed. So I am researching inexpensive things to have on hand when my pillow mask arrives. Thank you for the quick reply above.
-O&B
Post Reply Post Reply
It keeps your neck AND chin in line.  What you don't want to do is lower your head and have your chin rest on your collarbone.  That will reduce air through your windpipe.  For you, you want the collar high enough to gently support your jaw from dropping (mouth opening).  The collar can do 2 things.  Primary is to prevent positional apnea.  Secondary, and probably more important to you, it provides a little resistance to opening your mouth.  So I'd guess in your case, you might want the collar a 1/2" (1cm) higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you happy dreams.
I attempted the measurement it is approx 2" collarbone to jaw and 17.5" in diameter.
They aren't very expensive so I think I will order a 2 1/2" and a 3.0"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 135 1 hour ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 533 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 318 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 637 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 476 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 508 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 388 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.