Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Email from Philips offering an "auto-adjusting CPAP" instead of the DS2
RE: Email from Philips offering an "auto-adjusting CPAP" instead of the DS2
(02-03-2023, 03:41 PM)frogger Wrote: Basically I've been trying for months on end to help a poorly insured friend get a replacement for their ancient pre-Dreamstation CPAP.  They do qualify, but their doctor sucks, and has not responded to requests to send Philips their settings, and therefore Philips "can't" send it out.  Instead just now, they offered the following:

We are still missing your device therapy prescription. Because we are unable to fulfill your order without a prescription, we wanted to inform you of the option to receive a replacement device with automatic adjusted settings, more commonly known as Auto-adjusting CPAP. By choosing this option, we can ship you a replacement device without your prescription settings, which may help us process your order more efficiently. Below explains this setting and how you can provide your consent for this option within the Patient Portal.

I guess the real question is, is this just another attempt to screw someone over?  I don't trust Philips myself, so I'm wondering, is the "auto adjusting" portion just the same Dreamstation 2, but with settings that can easily be changed once you get it?  Does anyone know what this means?  I think my friend can probably get this sorted out in a couple months when they finally see the doctor for the prescription portion, but the sooner the better if it's all the same?

I received it, and it is a Dreamstation 2, plain an simple, just not set up at any given pressure, even you can adjust it using the menu and use it as you wish...
Post Reply Post Reply
They are apparently sending both DS1 and DS2s out, no choice in what you get.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2023, 08:49 PM)Gideon Wrote: They are apparently sending both DS1 and DS2s out, no choice in what you get.

Either one is the same, you will receive and automatic machine that could be adjusted...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2023, 08:39 PM)Gideon Wrote: Can you post your detailed charts so we can see

It was just an experiment. My point was it took 7 days of auto results and chose a single pressure based on that. And that's an old machine. If they could use those results, the auto mode should learn too, and not start each night blind to history.

Once my recall replacement is worked out I'll look at posting data to optimize things again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 4 on the DS-2, lowest AHI readings I've ever gotton (3)! Wow! I love this machine! Amazing long dreams, wake up head is clear. I was not sure about getting an auto, the ResMed auto I tried once didn't work for me, pressure got way to high and could not exhale, expanded my lungs like they were balloons. DS-2 I don't even notice the changing pressure, easy to breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2023, 08:49 PM)Gideon Wrote: They are apparently sending both DS1 and DS2s out, no choice in what you get.

And that I why I have not chosen the option.

I don't want a DS2. Too many negatives. And it'd be my like to get a non-advanced.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics gave me the choice of cpap or apap in the email I received. Also found out the apap can be switched back to cpap, in the settings. So I went with the apap. It didn't take as long to get it ordering an apap. Must say it works great, really happy with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2023, 08:02 AM)Jeremy H Wrote: Respironics gave me the choice of cpap or apap in the email I received. Also found out the apap can be switched back to cpap, in the settings. So I went with the apap. It didn't take as long to get it ordering an apap. Must say it works great, really happy with it.

Philips Respironics is now giving recalled machine owners the Choice of receiving a replacement machine set to your current prescription or a Auto Adjusting Cpap set to default values of 4-20 without a prescription required.  you can adjust and set the pressures yourself using the Clinical guide available on this site

automatic positive airway pressure (APAP)  is technically a name Resmed came up with and used to describe their line of auto adjusting Cpaps. Many now use this term to describe what Philips still calls a Auto-adjusting Cpap.
 Both the DS 1 & D2 are advanced Auto-adjusting Cpap machines.  If you own a DS1 that is being replaced under recall It's more likely you will receive a refurbished DS1 with New Air-flow path and motor.  If you have a System one it's more likely that you will receive a Brand-new DS2 because they are telling DS1 owners to keep their Humidifiers. System one humidifiers won't work with DS1 so they need to give you a brand-new system and with DS1 having been discontinued they likely no longer have any stock at this point.  The DS2 has a Auto trial option in the Cpap mode clinical menu that you can set for upto 30 days. It will allow the machine to function as a Auto Adjusting Cpap and at the end of the trial update your Fixed Cpap pressure.  During the Auto Trial you can use Oscar or SleepHQ  to review your charts and then make adjustments to the Min & Max pressures to select a tighter range that the Auto trial will use. I did the auto trial for 7 days and it selected a Cpap fixed pressure of 12.5 for me.  This is within .5 of what i had previously determined worked best for me.  The DS2 is much quieter and more compact than my old System one. Filling the humidifier water tank is not as easy as the DS1 but about on Par with my System one tank.  The DS2 is ok and works well for me in Auto and fixed pressure modes from my experiments so far. My Resmed Autoset 10 however remains my favorite Machine and If I was paying for a replacement that is what I would purchase.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2023, 09:28 AM)jtravel Wrote: with DS1 having been discontinued they likely no longer have any stock at this point.  

It has not been discontinued. It is still in production for BiPAP, ST, and other more advanced machines.
Same humidifier used on all versions.

Anf there is evidence that they are still making the CPAP versions. People have posted receiving machines with Nov 2022 build dates. New machines, not recertified.
Post Reply Post Reply
I, too, received a replacement Philips-Respironics DreamStation 2 CPAP Auto Advanced. The new device did not include an SD card.

Although there was a box, tape, and a return shipping label, there was no written information instructing me to return my older System One. I'm in no hurry to send the old unit back—given that it's taken eighteen frikken months and a whole lot of hassle to get the replacement. Maybe once my second unit arrives (later this week, I'm told) which replaces my spare APAP, perhaps. We'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,861 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,624 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 316 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,260 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,475 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 134 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.