Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Emphysema and Effects On Sleep Apnea
Emphysema and Effects On Sleep Apnea
I thought I posted this question before but I do not see it posted. Is there any info out there about how Emphysema complicates sleep apnea?COPD? Any info would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Emphasema and Effects On Sleep Apnea
Bear with me as I talk my way through this. Just woke up.

Sleep apnea is where, during sleep, apneas occur. Apneas are when we stop breathing. In sleep apnea, there are two kinds: obstructive and central. Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is where the tissue at the back of the tongue and that top part of our throat relax and close the airway. Central sleep apnea (CSA) is where the brain gets confused by the O2, CO2, and other stuff and thinks it does not need to breathe or shouldn't breathe (basically).

Emphysema is one of the main conditions that falls under the umbrella term chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). These conditions are also known as several other names but the more accepted is COPD. The conditions that are compiled under this umbrella are all medical conditions and not a mechanical (or brain chemical) condition.

It is common for folks to have both COPD and OSA but having one does not lead you to have the other.

In the reading I just did (remember, I just woke up), it seems as though oxygen is the primary problem for people with COPD. And since untreated SA can lower the oxygen, too, it is important for folks with COPD to have a sleep study done if they are having significant sleep issues. I would think that O2 levels alone cannot be used to diagnose SA or evaluate the success of treatment if the patient has COPD. I would also think it would be VERY important to discuss sleep with a doc if one has COPD.

The first two links are very good. The third is more simple and easier to understand but is far too simple. Near the bottom is where it discusses having both.

http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/content/167/1/3.full
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/s...-and-sleep
http://copd.about.com/od/individual_comp...-Apnea.htm
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Emphasema and Effects On Sleep Apnea
(03-19-2012, 12:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Bear with me as I talk my way through this. Just woke up.

Sleep apnea is where, during sleep, apneas occur. Apneas are when we stop breathing. In sleep apnea, there are two kinds: obstructive and central. Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is where the tissue at the back of the tongue and that top part of our throat relax and close the airway. Central sleep apnea (CSA) is where the brain gets confused by the O2, CO2, and other stuff and thinks it does not need to breathe or shouldn't breathe (basically).

Emphysema is one of the main conditions that falls under the umbrella term chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). These conditions are also known as several other names but the more accepted is COPD. The conditions that are compiled under this umbrella are all medical conditions and not a mechanical (or brain chemical) condition.

It is common for folks to have both COPD and OSA but having one does not lead you to have the other.

In the reading I just did (remember, I just woke up), it seems as though oxygen is the primary problem for people with COPD. And since untreated SA can lower the oxygen, too, it is important for folks with COPD to have a sleep study done if they are having significant sleep issues. I would think that O2 levels alone cannot be used to diagnose SA or evaluate the success of treatment if the patient has COPD. I would also think it would be VERY important to discuss sleep with a doc if one has COPD.

The first two links are very good. The third is more simple and easier to understand but is far too simple. Near the bottom is where it discusses having both.

http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/content/167/1/3.full
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/s...-and-sleep
http://copd.about.com/od/individual_comp...-Apnea.htm

thank you. i'm very interested in this because i fall under this umbrella, sleep apnea, asthmatic bronchitis, asthma and emphysema. doc called me hybrid for having some of each. my main treatment for this part of my health is of course the cpap plus symbicort inhaler twice a day and combivent inhaler as required rescue inhaler.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Emphysema and Effects On Sleep Apnea
I am somewhat relieved to know that emphysema isn't a death sentence necessarily. I think for me it is name like COPD can be scarey. It is at least bad asthma but for me a chronic cough, not so much not feeling like I can't breathe. But the last respiratory cold thing really got to me and left me lacking sufficient oxygen. Put that together with my friend dieing and I got a bit concerned. I am now on Flovent Diskus 2xs a day and Ventolin when needed. That " Breathe as hard as you can for as long as you can" test I think wore me out AND now with meds my lungs feel funny. My doc said will need this med for 6 Mos or forever but without It, I would eventually need to be on oxygen. It shortens ones' life.

How did I get this? I think the ammonia fumes back in 90' got to me one day from a perm and a not so smart beautician who did not rinse it off when I said get this off of me, I can't breathe. A week on Fen Fen and there you have it. I don't know how much my parents smoking played into it but my sibling only has seasonal allergies. I can't go back to the doctor who gave me Fen Fen or the Beauty shop as that happened so long ago I forgot names of both doctor and shop. Both in a different state too.So I live with it hoping I can keep it from getting worse.

I talked to my sleep staff lady who worked for a pulmonologist. She said my sleep study ;last Mar. would have indicated if I needed oxygen then and it did not...also Emphysema is a broad word, as is COPD. If I am not on oxygen I should be fine with c-pap ( Apap) I have now.

Sorry you just woke up. I already knew about what sleep apneas and central are, but thanks. I think mostly, things will continue as before but the meds will help me breathe better. Maybe have more energy too. Coughing all the time wears me out and I am tired of telling people I do not have a cold and I am not nor ever was a smoker.

These additional lung issues make ya wonder what with having sleep apnea, seems like a double whammy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.