Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Adding a diffuser to the exhale holes
Adding a diffuser to the exhale holes
Is there a way to add or make a diffuser/filter for a mask that doesn't already have one? The exhale airflow from the front of the mask is so disruptive: it blows and bounces back on me, and it also blows on my partner. I have tried many masks, and I currently use a resmed airfit n20. (I am thinking of the kind of clip on filters that come with the Fisher & Paykel Brevida Masks)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Adding a diffuser to the exhale holes
This is something I've thinking about for a couple weeks but haven't done anything about yet. Searching the Internet, I found a couple people who've modified their masks with DIY diffusers. The way I was thinking to do it is via 3D printing a plastic piece designed specifically to fit my mask. I later noticed that the Bleep mask has a piece of cloth that wraps around the vents and has a filter to diffuse the air; that looked easier to do than 3d design.
Post Reply Post Reply
A piece of gauze should provide some diffusion.  You may wish to look into a gauze bandage product named, Kling.  It is a stretch conforming gauze that will adhere to itself. Adjusting the number of wraps would allow for the best trade off between ventilation and sound.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
I just accidentally pulled mine out trying to clean the quiet elbow which was full of lint. It's very noisy without it. I read the gauze idea, and although I have none, I tore the pad out of a large bandaid, cut it into strips, and stuffed them in there. I think it's quieter now than it was with the diffuser. Thank you. New elbow on order.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2021, 09:28 PM)Castaway Wrote: I just accidentally pulled mine out trying to clean the quiet elbow which was full of lint. It's very noisy without it. I read the gauze idea, and although I have none, I tore the pad out of a large bandaid, cut it into strips, and stuffed them in there. I think it's quieter now than it was with the diffuser. Thank you. New elbow on order.

I would caution use of that.  A bandaid's material is rather dense.  Unless you "fluffed" it up after cutting it off the bandaid. And it's very easy to overstuff the area under the white cap.  Once that happens, you are underventing and might not have enough exhaled air being vented away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I'll watch out for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder how a person would know if they were under-venting ?
Large respiration rate increase ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
I expect it would result in a failure to exhaust enough CO2 and one would be rebreathing it through the hose. If bad enough this could lead to a sensation similar to holding ones breath and the person would wake. Except one might also encounter an inhibition of this CO2 trigger much like they do with apnea, especially during REM, leading to an O2 dip. Maybe I should wear my recording O2 monitor tonight and see what's happening there.

It would be funny if I discovered my modification makes for better therapy than the original.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 827 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 580 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 536 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  Adding EPR had unexpected effects TiredTom111 12 1,600 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 442 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.