Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirCurve 10 VAuto?
AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirCurve 10 VAuto?
I have been using a loan BMC BiPAP for the last few weeks since I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. My current settings are 10cm IPAP and 6cm EPAP. This has reduced my AHI from around 70 an hour to about 2. I have to return the machine soon and am going to have to buy one

I was about to buy an AirSense 10 AutoSet. (The 11 is not yet available in my country for regulatory reasons and in some ways I prefer the 10 anyway - but that is not the question.)

The company I am dealing with has just offered me the AirCurve 10 VAuto at a good price. Should I get it instead of the 10 AutoSet? It is quite a bit more expensive than the AutoSet but I am tempted. Even though my current IPAP figure is not high, things could change when I have an APAP and, being a bit paranoid, I am worried at the possibility that an EPR maximum of 3cm may not be enough for me if the AutoSet says I need a higher IPAP. Once I buy an AutoSet, I won't be able to change it and, as it's my money, I certainly won't be able to afford to dispose of it (we don't have ebay here) and buy a new machine. If I buy the AirCurve, it might be overkill but, as far as I can see, I don't lose anything over the AutoSet, apart from the extra money.

Are there any disadvantages of the AirCurve over the AutoSet (apart from cost)?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirCurve 10 VAuto?
You are already using a BMC Bipap and receiving good results.

The AirCurve 10 VAuto is a BiLevel and a far superior machine. Other than cost, I don't see a downside.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the choice I'd go with the VAuto.
If you can post the daily charts there is nothing the VAuto can do that we can't help you with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, OpalRose and Gideon. I've decided to go for the AirCurve and I will probably take up Gideon's offer. I have already downloaded Oscar in readiness.

One small question. I am aware that this, and other machines, have a setting for selecting the type of mask being used. I am currently switching between different types at different times to find the best one for me.

Does the setting actually make the machine do something different or is it just for record keeping purposes? If it makes the machine do something different, then I will have to make sure I change the setting every time I switch between pillow and full face etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
As stated, AirCurve 10 VAuto is far superior to the AirSense 10 AutoSet.

Quote:My current settings are 10cm IPAP and 6cm EPAP.

With a 4 cm spread, you need a BiLevel (AirCurve, BiPAP, ...). AirSense only does 3 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could be wrong but my understanding is the mask setting on the machine is only for how it calculates leaks but doesn't actually "do" anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
The settings roughly correspond to volume of the mask. Larger volume masks require larger intentional leaks for flushing.
Volume speaks to the overall compressibility of air in the circuit. For leaks and possibly working into quickness of change in pressure. But none of us has access to the algorithms to know for sure
Post Reply Post Reply
Good decision to go with the VAuto. I used an Autoset 10 for 3+ years and got okay results (average AHI about 2.0, down from over 40), then switched to VAuto 10 for last 4+ years and have had decidedly superior results (average AHI under 0.5). I attribute the VAuto results to being able to have pressure relief greater than 3.0 and adjust trigger to very high. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2023, 06:11 PM)njf1525 Wrote: Does the setting actually make the machine do something different or is it just for record keeping purposes?

It makes a small change in the pressure to compensate for the greater air flow rate of a full face mask. A fraction of a centimeter. Since you have a machine that auto-adjusts the pressure, it will compensate for this small change. However, if you want to be a purist, change the setting to match the mask type. That's what I would do.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 5 108 54 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,449 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 110 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 998 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 158 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 697 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.