Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Altering Amara View to Eliminate Nostril Shelf?
Altering Amara View to Eliminate Nostril Shelf?
So I've had pretty decent success with the Amara View mask. My numbers are good (usually around 1.0 - 1.3, sometimes 0.X, never over 2.0), but the mask ultimately wakes me up several times a night because of the fit between the "nostril shelf" and my nostrils.

It shifts or something, and one or both nostrils get blocked off by the "shelf". I am thinking about taking one of the masks and carefully eliminating the darn shelf with scissors to see if that eliminates the problem. Has anyone tried this?

Because of this issue, I tried the AirFit F20 For Her for several nights, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get a good seal. Very frustrating, and made for a really crappy week at work. So I surrendered and went back to the Amara View.

I would love to be able to sleep through the whole night without feeling as though someone has placed Scotch Tape over my nose holes.

I'm very grateful for my VPAP machine, as it seems to be doing a great job. But I know my sleep can be even better, and I guess I've gotten greedy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Altering Amara View to Eliminate Nostril Shelf?
Are you using the correct size Amara View mask? Download the fit guide from the Mask Primer (see my signature)
This guide measures the extension of the nose from the face, not a verticle height like most masks. I would also watch an Amara View mask fitting video.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. In fact, I have (and have tried) both the small and the medium. According to the fit guide, I'm a medium, but for some reason (um, like they didn't use the fit guide) they initially ordered me a small. I was able to get the medium with little trouble. Either one, however, cause an issue with that nostril shelf. I wish it was all open like the AirFit F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
I initially had great trouble with the Amara View migrating up my face, with my lower lip eventually dropping out of the mask.

I have found some tricks to stop the mask moving up during the night:

The back lower harness part of the mask needs to be very low, with the crown strap way back also. This helps to stop the mask riding up. (for me, anyway).
The other thing that helps is giving a little tug downwards on the lower side straps before retiring.

My upper lip 'shelf' now stays firmly put where it should be all night.

Good luck. It is a really fiddly mask, but a good one.
Post Reply Post Reply
that strap is not a shelf for your nose, it goes flat against your upper lip. Try starting out with the mask too low and against your lip, then slide it up under your nose, this should keep that strap against your lip. Make sure the cup at the end of your nose is only covering the very tip and not pulling the mask up too high

If you cut that strap, the sides will leak. The strap keeps the sides from blowing out
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to try to be more aware of exactly where that strap is sitting. Hopefully, PoolQ has struck on a solution for me.

It's 3:26 AM, and I am up because my O2 concentrator won't stop alarming. First time this has ever happened. Meh. Meh. Meh. I just want to go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am wondering if you need a large.

I've considered using scissors to cut the slits wider in my DreamWear cushions. I have wide nostrils, I think.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which CPAP Wipes Effectively Eliminate Bacteria and Germs? dharma2255 4 163 Yesterday, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 412 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 256 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Looking for Help Interpreting OSCAR Daily View timfik 4 611 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: timfik
  CT Angiography - 3D Airway view reconstruction fotjon 2 414 09-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: fotjon
  Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects? sleepyzzz 7 826 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  Will an ASV machine help eliminate my CSA/CSR clusters ? barney999 8 1,049 07-12-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: barney999

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.