Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Best portable/travel machine 2020-21?
Best portable/travel machine 2020-21?
I am looking for a CPAP machine that works well in remote areas without electricity.   I have a 45 A-h 12 Volt battery in a battery box with an automotive-type cigarette lighter port, and a 200 Watt solar panel to charge it with.

I have seen a comparison video that recommended the Z2 Auto very strongly but when I looked into it, the source of the video is the Australian distributor for that product.  The Z1 did not have strong reviews.  But no DC-DC converter is required - I can easily fabricobble a cable to plug it straight into my battery box.

Looking at the Air Mini but it seems to be an old design.  The N20 mask I prefer works well with it.

Also considering Dreamstation Go.

Last time I just used my Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her, and I'm actually wondering if I can just get by with it.  I have another one on the shelf as a spare, so if it got damaged somehow it wouldn't be the end of the world.  It requires a DC-DC converter because it runs on 24 V.

Thanks for any recommendations on what's worked well for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best portable/travel machine 2020-21?
Based on the battery you are using, It seems that weight and size are not critical considerations. I would just use the Airsense 10 for her with a Resmed or aftermarket 12-25 vDC converter. As long as you don't go through an AC inverter, the machine is pretty thrifty with power with the humidifier on zero and heated tube off, and still provides passive humidification. Nothing is going to be more comfortable or economical.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best portable/travel machine 2020-21?
Thanks. The battery is pretty heavy for sure and takes up a lot of space. It's a drive-in hunt camp, I do a lot of walking during the day but return to the camp at night.

I'm thinking of building a 24 V lithium (LifePo) battery out of Panasonic cells, but I'd need a welder that's a few hundred dollars and I'll only use it one time. I could put the smaller battery into a Pelican case with the CPAP and its DC-DC converter. Just grab the suitcase and throw it into the truck.

I resent that I still have to use the Resmed DC-DC converter because I think it has some type of protection in it. It seems to be a dual-range converter that works around 12V and also around 24 V for European vehicles. I would love to leave it at home.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,672 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 457 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,136 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 565 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.