Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Black sticky dust in CPAP machine
Black sticky dust in CPAP machine
I am using a very old CPap machine (REMStar Auto - 17 years old?) and when I opened up the humidifier chamber, found sticky black dust particles inside.  I rarely use the humidification chamber, so I don't know how long it's been in there.  

This machine isn't being maintained any more by the manufacturer, so I can't get parts. The other half of the problem is that I don't have a current CPAP prescription, so I can't order a new one until I see my doctor next week.

Has anyone had this problem with their machine? I was thinking that maybe there is some way to filter out the black particles, maybe by putting loosely packed cheese cloth in the humidifier chamber.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Black sticky dust in CPAP machine
Have you tried to clean it?
and Check your filter
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't have a prescription, or insurance, just upgrade at the lowest price possible. Supplier #33 can set you up with a new machine at the lowest possible cost, or check Craisgslist, Offerup or Facebook Marketplace. The best current machine is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for her.

If you have good insurnace, hang in there and you should be able to get a new machine in a month or two. If you want to use the old Respironics, disinfect the humidifier chamber and tubing with hydrogen peroxide and clean everything else as best you can. A black deposit sounds like mold or mildew.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will check the filter. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cleaned the water chamber and ran the machine again, still getting the small dust particles, which are about the size of grains of salt.  

My thought is that there is a rubber or vinyl part that is disintegrating. If it is mold/mildew, I would have to take the machine apart to get at the parts through which the air flows.

Thanks for the CPAP recommendation.  I was able to get in touch with my doctor and should have a prescription tomorrow so I will get a new machine as soon as possible.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,362 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 188 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 404 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 848 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 262 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.