Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations?
Question 
Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations?
I purchased a used "floor demo model" ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet unit from a local CPAP retail store. It had been used as a showcase device for demonstration. The vendor sanitized the machine, and it arrived in "like new" condition.
  • When I purchased it (at a steep discount), the vendor noted one caveat: "Note: This device has no connection to ResMed AirView." (Presumably, this is related to being a floor demo model.)  That's fine for me; I don't need to give access to a clinician.
  • During my initial setup, the device successfully connected to the cellular network. I switched it to airplane mode immediately after.  
  • I tested and confirmed that the device properly records data to the SD card, viewable in OSCAR and ResScan.

Questions!

1. Is anyone familiar with ResMed devices sold in this "former store demo model" condition?

2. If I turn off Airplane Mode and allow the AirSense to connect to the cellular network, is there any risk that ResMed might remotely disable or deactivate this device for being a store demo unit?

3. Is it a bad idea to attempt to add this device to myAir so that I can view basic stats in the ResMed myAir app?  (This might fail, of course, since AirView is presumably prohibited.)

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations?
Hello, Your concerns are not warranted. If you received a good deal on the purchase, good for you.

I imagine your used unit has very few hrs. These units are vulnerable to dusty environments. Dust kills the bearings and makes these units noisy. You probably don’t need to worry about that.

You should still be able to sign up to my Air. With SN on back of machine.

And your last ?. Nobody is going to mess with your machine remotely.

Congratulations on getting a good deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Out of curiosity I Googled "AirSense 10 Autoset demo" and came up with an online store based in Pennsylvania, USA (not on CPAP supplier list for this forum). On the ad page near the bottom was the note regarding linking to MyAir. Interesting and I wonder why a demo unit would different than other units? You said you bought yours locally (Colombia) which is pretty far away from Pennsylvania.

Enjoy the new machine and the savings you got!!!

[Image: OwjmOmW.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

(05-09-2023, 03:48 PM)StratCat48 Wrote: Out of curiosity I Googled "AirSense 10 Autoset demo" and came up with an online store based in Pennsylvania, USA (not on CPAP supplier list for this forum). On the ad page near the bottom was the note regarding linking to MyAir. Interesting and I wonder why a demo unit would different than other units? You said you bought yours locally (Colombia) which is pretty far away from Pennsylvania.

Interesting. That vendor specifically calls out ResMed myAir, not ResMed AirView. It could be the same limitation. And yeah, different vendor in a different country Smile

My hunch is that ResMed allows retailers to purchase one or two "store demo units" at a steep discount. And, as part of the demo unit discount, those device IDs are permanently blocked from ResMed cloud services (myAir and ResScan) to discourage resale of used demo units to actual customers. From a business perspective, they don't like people buying used CPAPs... and certainly not used CPAPs that they sold at a steep discount.

I don't know whether (A) they block these devices from cloud services to simply "discourage" demo unit resale or (B) they truly contractually prohibit retailers from reselling those demo units. B is the possibility that worried me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a quick update, in case anyone is curious or stumbles upon this thread.

I tried adding the AirSense 10 AutoSet store demo unit to ResMed myAir.  myAir successfully allowed registration and recognized the device model correctly.  However, even after rebooting my AirSense 10 and using it for several days, data never syncs to myAir.

The AirSense device itself shows no symptoms of this upload failure. It shows 5 bars (-45dBm) of cellular service with a local provider.  There is one curious anomaly about this device, though:  Unlike another AirSense 10 CPAP unit that I've used, the modem serial number is different from the device serial number.   The modem serial number is the one shown in the UI (Settings / My Options: About: Internal Modem: SN), while the device serial number is the one printed on a sticker on the back of the unit (and embedded in the SD card data).

Conclusion: If you buy a ResMed device that was a store demo unit, it will not send data to ResMed AirView OR ResMed myAir. The data is fully available via SD card, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
You cannot draw the conclusion that the data is not being *sent*. Nor can you draw the conlucsion that because the data is not available in myAir it is also not available in AirView.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just out of curiousity, have you have checked the number of therapy hours recorded on your machine?  It reminded me of someone who purchased a lightly used executive driven "demo" car from a new car dealer's lot.  Upon taking ownership, and arriving with a late report, they discovered that it was a return from a car rental agency.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2023, 01:49 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Just out of curiousity, have you have checked the number of therapy hours recorded on your machine?  It reminded me of someone who purchased a lightly used executive driven "demo" car from a new car dealer's lot.  Upon taking ownership, and arriving with a late report, they discovered that it was a return from a car rental agency.

At initial unboxing, the reported lifetime therapy hours were less than 100 hours. I don't think that number can be trusted, as there seem to be many ways to reset the data.

But this machine was in immaculate condition. The original stickers on the top and the screen ("screen protector" lol) were even untouched.  If this really was a "used and refurbished" unit, they went to extraordinary lengths to hide it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the unit was refurbished, the vendor would have place a "refurbished sticker" on the bottom or back of unit.

It's probably just a floor demo. Seems like you have a good unit.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told, when buying my used Airsense 10 Autoset that it was an imported machine and unable to connect via modem to Resmed UK.  It is also a 2G model and I was  not sure 2G service was still available in the UK.

But I noticed later that it was indeed making a live conneciton to the Vodaphone UK cellular network.

I also read that if a machine does not connect to the server for a period of six months or more, then ResMed 'turn off' the data connection to that machine in order to save costs...

As an experiment, I registered the serial number of my machine, and a day or so later, was successfully able to use the MyAir phone app.

Subsequently,  I also tried the PC-based Rescan app and, when saving settings it told me that it was connected to my Airsense (which was unplugged at the time)  From this I surmised that   Rescan was able to communicate  directly wih the Airsense 10 via the cell network ie reading and writing.

I imagine this might also include  firm-ware updates?

Could the above  be true for a used demo machine?
 “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.”   - DH  Lawrence

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 4 178 9 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 13 644 04-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 478 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,871 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Taming Flow Limitations ancheero 3 396 03-08-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 383 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 749 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.