Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] COCA-COLA TO CLEAN HUMIDIFIER
Question 
COCA-COLA TO CLEAN HUMIDIFIER
Occasionally, I use tap water in my humidifier water chamber. If I see a mineral build-up, I can remedy the situation with a vinegar soak. A friend of mine observed me pouring vinegar in the chamber and suggested the use of one can of a carbonated beverage, specifically Coca-Cola.

Since I am not fond of the vinegar smell which dissipates in a few hours, I was wondering if anyone else uses soda to de-mineralize their water chambers?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: COCA-COLA TO CLEAN HUMIDIFIER
I suppose it could do it. When I was growing up, I remember an uncle using Coke to clean the car's battery terminals. And yet we drink that stuff.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any acidic liquid would remove buildups in the humidifier due to mineral deposits. Vinegar, Coca-cola, lemon juice would all work.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do try it, don't let it soak for long. Most acids attack the zinc in aluminum. You have a chance of pitting the tub bottom that will provide a "tooth" for calcium to stick in the future.

As a side note: We used Coke back in the 50s and 60s to remove road film and gasoline off the windshield. The gasoline removed the road tar. Coke was cheaper and more readily available than any product you could buy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

I will try it and report back.

UPDATE: It appears to work as well as vinegar, albeit more expensive, and smells much better, at least to me. I think that I will continue the practice being mindful of @Crimson Nape's warning about not soaking too long.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 6 129 11 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 92 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 889 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 504 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 422 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.