Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Chromebook, what do you think
This poll is closed.
Do you have a Chromebook?
6.25%
1 6.25%
Would you get a Chromebook to use with OSCAR?
0%
0 0%
I would not get a Chromebook
93.75%
15 93.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Equipment] Chromebook, Who has one?
RE: Chromebook, Who has one?
Is this how you did it?
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Chrome_OS
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I used the instructions http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Chrome_OS

I did not try to work around the error because I know that you are trying to work out the kinks in this.

I am using an i5 Pixel Slate running the Chrome OS Official Beta Channel (v 81.0.4044.94 64 bit) and Linux is enabled. If you want more system information I am happy to provide it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2020, 11:05 AM)arhdc Wrote: Yes, I used the instructions http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Chrome_OS

I did not try to work around the error because I know that you are trying to work out the kinks in this.

I am using an i5 Pixel Slate running the Chrome OS Official Beta Channel (v 81.0.4044.94 64 bit) and Linux is enabled. If you want more system information I am happy to provide it.

Some v.81 users are reporting issues with Crostini; might be the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2020, 11:05 AM)arhdc Wrote: Yes, I used the instructions http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Chrome_OS

That error you got was due to a deficiency in the 1.0.1 package when used to install on a ChromeBook. As it says it is the post install script (that's what Debian likes to call it).
However, I believe it will in fact have placed Oscar on your machine and you should be able to run it.

I don't know how familiar you are with the linux command line, but if you bring up the Linux(Beta) system, and are presented with the command prompt (a window with a black background and only test in it) you can start Oscar by typing      
Code:
OSCAR  
and then press the enter key. It is important that you type OSCAR all in upper case.
This should bring up Oscar. It will then be important to follow the instructions about how to import SD Card data. Before you import data for the first time, you will have to use the Files App to enable "share with Linux". Then the first time, Oscar will be unable to find your SD Card and you will end up having to tell it where to find it. However it should find it on all subsequent times.
The instructions in the Wiki are written specifically for the 1.1.x version of Oscar for ChromeBooks, and you are using the 1.0.1 version.
You might be better served by following the advice in this post Installing Oscar on ChromeBook from the Software Support Forum.

Alternatively, Bonjour has access to a Beta-2 version of Oscar 1.1.x which should not give you this install error.
The Wiki instructions you used advise downloading the 1.0.1 version of Oscar because the 1.1.x Beta-2 versions have not been formally placed into Beta.
In any case comments to help us improve the Wiki instructions are welcome. They intentionally have more detail than the instructions for other platforms.
I'm not sure that feedback should go in this thread; I don't want to drown out the poll. I shall rely on Bonjour to advise us.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2020, 12:34 PM)djont57 Wrote:

Some v.81 users are reporting issues with Crostini; might be the issue.

It is true that v.81, or (M=82 as you might see in a Chrome OS bug report) has had some problems, and in fact the version of v.82 posted by Google on the 7th April 2020 has been pulled from distribution, and the Stable version is back to v.80

However this is not the cause of the error you have seen. The error you are likely to see is a graphic dialog box that has a white title bar, and an apparently empty black content, as if it's background was black, and its text was also black. You will not see this on all windows, but I have seen this lately on Oscar installations when it wants to ask you if you want to import old data from Sleepyhead, from your system. It is unlikely that anybody's ChromeBook will contain Sleepyhead data.
If you get this all black box, you should move your cursor from side to side slowly across the bottom quarter or the black part, and you will probably see buttons for yes, no, and cancel appear, and stay visible. You can dismiss the window this way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour this poll may be flawed if you want to determine whether ChromeBook compatibility has value. This question is most relevant to members that have no Windows, MAC or Linux capability to use with Oscar. A ChromeBook is inexpensive and enough people own them that it might have value. Including responses of those of us with existing Oscar capability might cause us to miss those that don’t but would consider this less expensive option.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Understood SR,
I look at this as a tool for those that do not have a PC or a Mac, as you said it is a less expensive option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2020, 04:18 PM)bluesboybob Wrote: I have a Chromebook. I do not use it with OSCAR. I only use OSCAR on my Win10 computer. I use the Chromebook when travelling because it is small and can run for 3-4 days on the battery without recharging.

Which Chromebook do you have? I'm wondering if it can run Oscar, and if it can, whether you could test Oscar on ChromeBooks for us, even if you decide not to use it in the long term.

If you can tell us which model you have, I can look it up in the mire of Google documentation for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.