Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cleaning cpap equipment with mentol or pepermint oil
Cleaning cpap equipment with mentol or pepermint oil
Dear members
I have been on cpap treatments for 3 weeks (Philips Dreamstation, Philips Dreamwear and Sleepyhead), and is slowly getting used to it. Actually I find it nice and relaxing to get fresh air delivered the cpap way.
I am wondering if it could be beneficial and nice to add a very small amount of japanes pepermint oil to the water the next time I will clean the machine, tube etc.
Please let me know if You have any experience or thoughts on this idea.
Cheers, Lito
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning cpap equipment with mentol or pepermint oil
Hi Otil - Welcome

Some oils could react to the materials used to make the CPAP.  For this reason we tend to not recommend putting oils or fragrances  in the humidifier.  Instead, we recommend that you place a cotton ball, laced with the desired sent, near the CPAP's air intake.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally would agree with what Crimson Nape suggested. I don't think it's a good idea to add to the water something you would breathe in that likely isn't meant to be inhaled like this situation presents itself. The fragrance could be of too high a concentration to be good for you inhaling it like this in my opinion. Coming through the air intake seems to make the fragrance of a lower concentration in theory anyway.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP machines are very effective of picking up adjacent aromas...  especially when Fido is sleeping nearby and he farts off some Alpo gas- that most certainly causes an unscheduled wake-up!  Crazy   Vomit
Post Reply Post Reply
omg, so that's why I wake up so often! who knew? <grin>
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2018, 03:21 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: The CPAP machines are very effective of picking up adjacent aromas...  especially when Fido is sleeping nearby and he farts off some Alpo gas- that most certainly causes an unscheduled wake-up!  Crazy   Vomit

Oh, I feel strangely sick now, bad enough my own gasses!!!!   Oh-jeez
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some aromatherapy things you can get from some online CPAP stores. I think they are made by PurSleep. You don't put it in the water, but on a wafer just outside the machine's air intake.

Worth the money? Nah, get something local that you can actually test.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2018, 03:21 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: The CPAP machines are very effective of picking up adjacent aromas...  especially when Fido is sleeping nearby and he farts off some Alpo gas- that most certainly causes an unscheduled wake-up!  Crazy   Vomit

Funny or otherwise, our dog that must sleep in the same room as I do, doesn't suffer, or make me do so either, from bad gas. He just stinks things up with bad breath. Coffee

I may want to try some of that aroma at the intake wafer thing sometime, but it's not a pressing item on my to do list.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to remember about aromatherapy ... your body will cease reacting to the odor after a short period of time due to our tendency to ignore habituated odors. It is the same thing that allows slaughterhouse workers to work in an environment which would make most of us gag and why you cannot smell your own home environment unless a new odor is present.

Some people believe that aromatherapy works on the placebo effect and helps you accept your device by distracting your attention.

Who knows? Each to his own. And, whatever works.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

I concur with this statement, and the -pap machine seems to suck it in from anywhere in the house, concentrate it and then fills the mask with the concentrated resultant.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,757 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 225 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 154 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 231 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,897 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 579 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.