Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cleaning cpap equipment with mentol or pepermint oil
RE: Cleaning cpap equipment with mentol or pepermint oil
Do wonder if there is a benefit form something like Eucalyptus.... might get use to the smell, but it should still have the sinus congestion benefits.

But the best treatment with these oils seems to be from us with a humidifier of some sort. And putting the oils directly in a CPAP humidifier is a no go.

And from one health article "When they’re inhaled in small doses for brief periods, most are generally considered safe. If you inhale them in high doses or for long periods, you may experience dizziness, a headache, and nausea."

So a drop or two on a wafer is probable ok, but once you get use to the smell and you start needing to up the dosage... it could be harmful. Might be better to only use it when you need it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with all the others, in regards to NOT putting anything other than just water in the reservoir. 

I've never felt the need for anything to spice up the air I'm breathing, but the suggestion of something lying outside the air intake sounds reasonable enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be within the group that will consider adding some scented oils to a cotton ball or other material and have it outside the intake if I choose to add it at all. Nothing but water in the humidifier tub.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to agree not putting EO's in the water.
BUT, I do it from time to time...dilute the EO with a carrier!
I don't think you should use the stronger oils like the mints, etc...If you should use precautions on putting on your skin, you probably don.t want to inhale anything to strong.
I prefer to put 1 drop of ie...lavender on the filter if thats to strong when you turn your unit on, pre mix it with a carrier and put it on cotton etc...
But, only do this if you have knowledge of the craft for your own safety...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 173 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,799 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 377 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.