Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ClimateLine problem
ClimateLine problem
We had a death in the family and I just spent a lot of time traveling. Eight nights in 8 different hotels, all with hard to reach outlets. (except the Motel 6 where its abundance of outlets was the only reason we did not demand our money back and go elsewhere)

One night, I was so tired, I didn't feel like hooking everything up, just the main half and the mask. But the ClimateLine hose didn't fit right. So I put in the H5i half but, even with climateline and humidifier off, the air smelled like it was on. (like the water had boiled out of the pan kind of smell)

So my questions are thus:

1 - is there an adapter to make the climateline hose fit the non-humidifier half? (turning the hose around did not work as the mask's hose would not fit that end)

2 - i have the setting for the humidifer turned to OFF. This means the humidifier and climateline is off, right? Or just the hose is off? Why did I smell the hot air if it was set to OFF? With water in the tank, the smell was gone. The setting goes from OFF to 60something F to over 80F (I usually keep it on 80F or OFF)

3 - if I have to take 2 hoses, how do I keep the non-climateline hose clean enough between uses? Clean well and put in sealed bag?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ClimateLine problem
(03-13-2012, 10:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: One night, I was so tired, I didn't feel like hooking everything up, just the main half and the mask. But the ClimateLine hose didn't fit right. So I put in the H5i half but, even with climateline and humidifier off, the air smelled like it was on. (like the water had boiled out of the pan kind of smell)

1 - is there an adapter to make the climateline hose fit the non-humidifier half? (turning the hose around did not work as the mask's hose would not fit that end)

2 - i have the setting for the humidifer turned to OFF. This means the humidifier and climateline is off, right? Or just the hose is off? Why did I smell the hot air if it was set to OFF? With water in the tank, the smell was gone. The setting goes from OFF to 60something F to over 80F (I usually keep it on 80F or OFF)

3 - if I have to take 2 hoses, how do I keep the non-climateline hose clean enough between uses? Clean well and put in sealed bag?

Paula02, I don't have certain answers to all your questions, but I would suspect that:

1. There would be no adapter made for that purpose, in part for the reason in 2, below, and in part because of little need, as ResMed might reasonably expect that if you had the higher priced equipment, you would use it. I found none advertised. You could email ResMed.

2. I suspect that the Humidifier and ClimateLine do not turn off together. The ClimateLine apparently works to heat air as well as deal with the humidity issue (alone and in conjunction), and for that reason would continue to work regardless. From ResMed's data: The ClimateLine tube includes a sensitive heating circuit, which is automatically controlled by the Climate Control algorithm to deliver a constant comfortable temperature at the mask .

3. A 2-gallon ziplock should work well for a simple Slimline hose for use without H5i or ClimateLine.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2012, 10:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: We had a death in the family and I just spent a lot of time traveling. Eight nights in 8 different hotels, all with hard to reach outlets. (except the Motel 6 where its abundance of outlets was the only reason we did not demand our money back and go elsewhere)

One night, I was so tired, I didn't feel like hooking everything up, just the main half and the mask. But the ClimateLine hose didn't fit right. So I put in the H5i half but, even with climateline and humidifier off, the air smelled like it was on. (like the water had boiled out of the pan kind of smell)

That smell was because the humidifier did not have any water, but the plate was still heating.

It happened to me once when I did not top off the humidifier with more water & it ran out of water during the night.

That is a really bad smell, isn't it?

I don't have the "Escape" so I am not sure what happened.
But it sounds to me that the humidifier was not really off.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
Tomorrow I will watch the screen and note what it says with and without the climateline attached. Somewhere I have a manual...

And yes, it is an odd smell. With the S7, if I ran out of water in the middle of the night, I woke up smelling ammonia and sneezed my head off all day. With the S9, it is more of a 'hot' smell. I still sneeze, just not as long.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,322 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,456 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 328 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 388 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 227 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.