Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Determine if heated hose is still working?
Determine if heated hose is still working?
So last night I noticed that my breathing was heavier than normal while wearing my mask, and that water started dripping out of the exit holes in the mask. It seems like maybe water might have been condensing in the hose, despite it being a heated hose. I checked on the screen to see maybe if hose had bad circuitry and had gone bad or something? But the screen was still showing the hose active, and the same level of heating as before. I felt the hose, and it didn't feel hot, just felt room temp level.

Now, it was somewhat colder than average last night. Though the temperature inside the home doesn't fall directly with the outside so much, but the humidity does go down inside as the temperature falls outside. So it's possible this was just a weird effect of the temperatures outside. But I just want to be sure that something hasn't failed. If the heated hose has failed, I would assume I would not assume that the heating icon for the hose wouldn't even show on screen, am I right?

Equipment: Philips Dreamstation 1 CPAP (Yeah, I'm still rocking the recalled device at the moment)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Determine if heated hose is still working?
Rainout.
Caused by condensation.

I have a heated hose, and a spare. ResMed S10 *for her* Darned if I can feel warmth when the air blows out of the mask. (I think that the hose doesn't have much heating capacity.)

Couple of thought--get a fabric hose cover and put your hose in it. The cover and the airgap will hold whatever heat there is in, and as long as your are above the dewpoint of the air you won't get condensation.
--consider changing your humidifier settings. So you add less water.
--you could add a heater in your room (but I don't like plug in heaters. I would forget to turn it off. Costly.)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the heated tube and it can be hard to tell if it is working. They only get to about 80-86*F, so the surface is not hot or even that warm. In addition to using the heated tube, I have the SnuggleHose fleece cover. It covers up to 8-feet of tube so the excess folds along the tube and is very soft and avoids condensation in that section of tubing that goes to the mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
bbbl67 I'm in Toronto. About a year ago I added a humidifier to my furnace. My ukulele had cracked.
Before I did that I didn't have enough water in the tank of my S9 and later my S10. It would boil dry before I woke up.

Now I have sufficient capacity in the tank for a night's use. My S10 humidifier is set at auto...beyond that I've never changed the setting, and don't know how to. I don't have rainout.

Hope this helps....

hose covers are cheaper than adding humidifiers....

(so if my room air temp is 70 degrees F, and heated temp (thanks Sleeprider!) is 86F that's not-a-lot-of-watts. I was right. I can't toast marshmellows with my heated hose. Good thing I don't live in England where rooms are colder; so I'm told.)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
usually if the display show HT(locked) in tube type that means your heating tube was fine, otherwise you may need a resistance meter to measure the resistance between those 3 pin in connector.
Post Reply Post Reply
A big + to a hose cover. I have one and is a great asset. That....and a hose holder / hanger.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,630 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question How to determine OSA's exact cause (or causes)? Unkikonki 5 170 04-04-2024, 10:58 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 189 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 148 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 474 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 228 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question Hose volume Willw 4 282 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.