Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DreamStation compressor fan noise
RE: DreamStation compressor fan noise
Yes, I sometimes experience this with mine, and exactly as you're saying.

Yes, I think this is a somewhat normal problem with the DreamStation. It seems to be a toss-up on if the one you exchange it for will be better, worse, or the same.

I can never use my machine without the humidifier - it's way too loud to get any sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the predecessor to the DreamStation, but it has always been a quiet machine, except every now and then, I can hear my breathing in and out.  Oh-jeez  That alone would keep me awake.  So I’ve been in the habit of running a fan in my bedroom.  

Now I can’t sleep without the fan noise. Rolleyes
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dreamstation is unusable without the humidifier due to the noise.  Found a Respironics DreamStation Muffler-Flow Generator Cover 1128163 and it sounds exactly the same as if the humidifier was attached.  Made me super happy!  You need to use a regular hose as the heated hose end won't fit on this.  You'll find it 1/2 way down under the Cpap/Bipap tab from #2 on the forum's CPAP supplier list.
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
(07-23-2019, 07:35 PM)pgoo Wrote: My Dreamstation is unusable without the humidifier due to the noise.  Found a Respironics DreamStation Muffler-Flow Generator Cover 1128163 and it sounds exactly the same as if the humidifier was attached.  Made me super happy!  You need to use a regular hose as the heated hose end won't fit on this.  You'll find it 1/2 way down under the Cpap/Bipap tab from #2 on the forum's CPAP supplier list.

I didn't know this existed. Very handy to know because the Dreamstation without the humidifier is a nice travel size without the travel size price.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Great info, thanks! It took a little while to find it (it's pretty well hidden on the vendor's site), but your instructions worked and I ordered one. It's exactly what I need for traveling, and I'm very keen to give it a try.

As it turns out the humidifier doesn't do that much for me anyway, although the heated tube keeps my nose from getting cold when the bedroom is chilly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great!!! I've added the muffler and a Heated Moisture Exchange Filter to my wish list. Seems like that would make travel with the DreamStation SO much nicer!
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried googling "CPAP muffler," and came up with a generic solution for all CPAP machines: Human Design Medical Q-Tube In-Line CPAP Muffler Kit. It's a 5-inch cylinder lightweight cylinder. From an online description:

HDM's Q-Tube In-Line CPAP Muffler Kit is designed to minimize sounds emitted from the machine. The compact muffler is lightweight and measures roughly 5 inches in length. A foam layer inside of the Q-Tube Muffler helps to diminish noises related to CPAP therapy. This foam can be removed and replaced to maintain the device.

The Q-Tube connects between the machine and CPAP hose. The Q-Tube is not meant to be placed between the CPAP hose and mask. The universal Q-Tube is compatible with all CPAP, APAP, and BiPAP machines.

The description goes on to point out that it doesn't work with humidifiers (it traps moisture) or heated hoses (it doesn't pass the current through to the hose).
Post Reply Post Reply
A bit of further digging shows that the Q-Tube requires replacing the inside foam rubber layer every two weeks at $5 a pop, so it's not an ideal solution.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,256 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 593 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 344 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.